Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to send a sig with a blued slide in for some tweaking at the factory. While it's there should I have it refinished in K-Kote? How good is K-Kote? I have recently moved from the desert SW to a much more humid part of the country and have started to notice the slide will rust quite quickly if neglected at all. I try to keep my equipment in top order but would hate to miss some fingerprints and have a real rust problem on my hands.
According to customer service the newest Nitrate finish will not be available to owners of existing guns but if I remember correctly K-Kote wasn't available a couple of years ago either. Once K-Koted can I ever go back to the bluing or the Nitrate if it ever comes available? Any comments would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to get the most out of my UPS shipping cost as I can. Thanks in advance for your replies.

· Registered
351 Posts
K-Kote IMO, is a decent rust resistant finish, but is as bad or worse than blueing vs abrasion. If you carry this gun, you'll wear through the K-Kote in no time.
You'd probably be better advised to get a different, after market finish if you want, or maybe IG can nickel your gun. I've seen good things with their current nickel slide models, they don't seem to turn colors as bad as the old ones. Course, that could just be the time frame involved.
::shrug::

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.