Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be better placed in the reloading section but I thought it might be seen by more members here.

A week ago I was test firing a new gun. Third round from the mag blew up. I damaged a brand new Wilson mag tube but that was repairable. The explosion shattered the follower, and made the mag spring 3" long. New spring kit solved that problem. The African black wood grips were destroyed. Other than my pride nothing was wrecked on the 5" gun past what was mentioned. That is what I assumed would happen on any case failure or dbl charge on a reload with a Government model 5". I have seen it happen now a half dozen times, three of which were mine.

The first thought is that the case blew. Which can happen but seldom does. All it takes is an examination of the primer to see the difference between a bad case and a case that explodes. Case explosion can be too much powder or in some cases with light charges, too little powder.

I was loading on a Dillion 650 with a case feed. I don't know what the small Kimber's ammo was being loaded on. Either way food for thought here...and a GREAT reason to own a good set of shooting glasses.

Bowed and cracked Kimber Ultra slide. Interesting enough the slide stop pin was blown out of this gun intact and the slide came off at the blast. Easy to see how that happened when you look at teh blast makes inside the gun. NEVER seen that one before.

Amazing to me the Kimber aluminum frame wasn't damaged at all!

Case samples

You can see the pressure on the blown cases by looking at the primers as compared to normal firing pin strikes on the lower cases. Flat primers in generally will denote excessive pressure.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-07-01 18:37 ]</font>

·
Registered
628 Posts
Richard Lee has an excellent discussion in is book, about the signs of overpressure. Definitely worth reading :smile:

From the pics, it looks like your hand is still intact Dane.
Good deal :grin:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hi Dane! Is this the slide that was being sent to you that was mentioned in a previous post? Mike

Life NAH

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Randall_1611 on 2001-05-29 20:41 ]</font>

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hey Randall, nice to see another Wyoming boy. I'm from Lander originally, but now live in the People's Republic of Colorado :roll: I need to get back there, and get out of this smog pit :wink:

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
45 ACP brass is rated to around 20K PSI and should do OK @ 25K PSI but not in my guns, thanks :grin: 9mm, Super and 10mm run around 32/35K PSI and 9x23 runs at 45/46K PSI. I suspect the 45s blew around 30K. Still a bunch below what Micarta, MDLs or even the plain old stock plastic grips on this compact Kimber held. The last thing I would suggest is putting wood, even presention African blackwood, under this kind of stress :grin:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Those plain old rubber stocks on that kimber kinda have some sentemential value to me now,since my hands came out ok.
Just wish my face was the same.
Rember folks shooting glasses aren't an option at all.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would someone link this to the Kimber thread now runnning?

Damn! Sorry guys I had deleted the warped Kimber slide pictures. I had assumed they were replacing the slide after my last discussion with them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-07-01 19:02 ]</font>

·
Registered
628 Posts
Can do :grin:

For more info on the blown up Kimber from this thread go here:

http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.ph ... orum=28&54

A interesting discussion on what Kimber DID/DID NOT do to resolve the situation to the customers satisfaction. Kimber factory lurkers out there, are you listening? :wink: If not, I guess I'll buy a Springfield :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.