Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new K-9 Elite. Last night I shot it for the first time. I shot 50 rounds of Lawman 124gr. I had two problems: 1) ejected brass was crimped at the case mouth and was flying left at and over my head. Also had one stove pipe. 2) Primer strikes were off center, low at 12:00 or 6:00 o'clock. Is this normal for a new striker fired gun or should I send it back to the factory? Thanks, Sam

·
Registered
248 Posts
I work on a lot of KAHR pistols. Most models, not all have a slow trigger return system. It sounds like you might have a weak extractor spring or are you using reloads with dinged up rims? As for stove pipes that is usually underpowered ammo for the recoil spring you are using. You could be limp wristing it. The low primer hit would concern me the most, providing its super low, in that case I would send the gun back to the factory.

Teddy Jacobson / pistolsmith
http://www.actionsbyt.com
281 277 4008

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Teddy, What do you think is causing the off center primer strike? It's very low, 6:00 o'clock. Sam

G

·
My opine is to continue to shoot this pistol until you have 200 rounds through it. I have a Kahr E-9 that wouldn't feed a full magazine and at the 200 round point it started to perk. This little pistol hasn't missed a beat since. If the situation continues past that point I would do something. Regards, Richard

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kahr responded today. In the message they asked me twice to send the pistol back for repair. So far so good. I'll keep everyone informed. Hey "Smiths", what do you think they will do to get striker hits on center? How about my ejection problem? Thanks, Sam

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sam on 2001-06-05 08:35 ]</font>

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it back today. I'm not happy. Primmer strikes are still off center, a little better but still off center, every 5th round or so, ejected brass hits me in the forehead and now, a new one, while firing a 50 round box of S&B, the magazine fell out 3 times. It cost me $25.00 to send it back, now it will cost me another $25.00. I'm losing confidence in this gun and the company. Should I ask for a new gun or trade it in for a Glock or a Sig. What do you guys think? Sam

·
Registered
209 Posts
Talk to Frank... He was very helpful, and ensured that things were right for me...

Can't remember the name of the woman I spoke with back at the corp hq, but she was also very helpful.

Personally, I would ask them to exchange it if they can't fix it, tell them your life depends on this thing being reliable...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ya know... Tonerguys' right... I'd forgotten, they took care of mine... :wink:

My bitch was that the gun was brand new, and broke on the 4th shot... They fixed it, and covered my costs... Like I said, great company!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jaydee on 2001-06-13 23:28 ]</font>

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here we go again. They want it back. Another $25.00 to ship. So far $50.00 in shipping.
I'll let every one know how it turns out. Sam

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sam on 2001-06-15 22:20 ]</font>

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still no word. You would think they would go a little faster since this is the second time they have had it. It has spent more weeks at the factory than at my home. Sam

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, got it back the other day. For the second time I'm disappointed! They didn't really do anything. They said that they changed out the mag catch and did some polishing. Ejection seems a bit better but primer hits are still off center (on the rim of primer). They wrote "primer hits off center but within tolerance". I have two questions: (1)The Kahr Co. brags about their moderen CNC machining. Shouldn't I expect better quality than I got or am I too critical? (2) Are the off center hits something that I need to worry about in a defensive pistol? I'm thinking of trading it for a Glock 26. Sam

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sam on 2001-07-11 21:16 ]</font>

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Took it to the range the other day and tried to fire a box of 124 gr Speer Gold Dot hollow point ammo (total rounds fired from this gun is aproximently 300 FMJ's). After most failed to feed I gave up. E-mailed Kahr with this new development. They e-mailed back saying that they will replace the pistol and reimburse me for shipping. That's more like it. I bought this gun based on both the company's reputation for a high quality product and excellent customer service. While they were a bit slow, It doesn't get any better than this. Thanks Kahr! I'll let every one know how it turns out. Sam

·
Registered
117 Posts
So how did you make out? I'm interested in this because I bought a Kahr P-9 a year ago, carry it every day, fire it at the range once a month, have put 1200 rounds of EVERYTHING through it, (Plus P and Hardball), and NEVER had so much as a burp. I have had NO problems with my KAHR, (Zero, Nada), but would like to know how they handle it if there IS a problem. - Topspin

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.