Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is actually for anyone who would like to reply, especially pistolsmiths, but I specificly wanted Dane to reply due to his experience with Kimbers and light weight guns.

I just picked up a Kimber Pro Carry today. The gun is bank vault tight. No vertical, but minor horizontal play in the frame to slide fit. Barrel locks up tight, and trigger pull is at a crisp five pounds. My only criticism is the frame mounted safety has a ton of sharp edges, which bite the inside of my thumb.

I am not a fan of Aluminum guns, but bought this one after the salesman, who will go unnamed, reassured me that the frame was not aluminum. Now I am stuck with this gun, since they are going out of the gun business and all sales are final.

I have read in other posts that an aluminum frame Kimbers cracked @ 9,600 rounds, and that the feed ramp show excessive wear after little use. Would a steel feed ramp insert or fully ramped barrel fix this problem, and are they advisable customizations to make?

As soon as I can scrape up the cash I am going to get on Dane's waiting list.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I have read in other posts that an aluminum frame Kimbers cracked @ 9,600 rounds, and that the feed ramp show excessive wear after little use.

Would a steel feed ramp insert or fully ramped barrel fix this problem, and are they advisable customizations to make?
I have yet to see a Kimber LTW frame finished as well as a Colt. Yes they do have quick wear on the ramp with some hollow points. With ball ammo almost none. I do not like, suggest or (now) install ramped barrels. I find them less reliable in a single stack carry gun. The steel insert on the other hand is a good idea IMO. My answer for my own LWT frame guns? I only shoot ball ammo in those guns.

On the plus side Kimber has no problem backing up their product if there is a problem. You have a nice gun, shoot it!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-09-22 22:09 ]</font>

·
Registered
62 Posts
Fourty5Cal

If you limit your shooting to American made standard velocity FMJ ammunition you will probably never have a problem with your pistol. The reports you have seen where a Kimber aluminum frame failed within 9,600 rounds was a combination of +P and ammo that was loaded hotter than standard, but not quite up to +P. Also, Dane is correct, the owner of the pistol that failed at 9,600 rounds reported that Kimber was replacing his pistol, so they will stand behind their product.

Enjoy your new pistol.
PaulB

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply PaulB. I originally intended to use factory hollowpoint ammunition and handloaded 200gr. LSW. Now I think I will stick to RNL & LSW, till I can scrape up the cash and have Dane work his magic.

I am a bit disappointed that a gun designed for concealed carry would have an issue with hollowpoint ammunition.

I have read some posts where aluminum framed guns are postulated as guns to be carried a lot and shot very little. Which is contrary to my belief that you should practice with what you carry/intend to use for self defense.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I own two aluminum frame Kimbers and I am also concerned with the reliability of shooting hollowpoints through these guns. I may start carrying Federal EFMJ but I am not sure if penetration would be adequate.

I have only heard of these problems with Kimbers and perhaps other 1911s and will most likely never buy an aluminum framed 1911 again. However, there are other aluminum frame guns I have considered buying. Do the aluminum frames of other guns such as Sigs and Berettas hold up any better than the Kimbers?

Thanks for your opinions. In fact, I would like to thank everyone for their contribution to the wealth of information this site contains. I am new to firearms and don't know how else I would have learned so much. Thanks again.

Derek

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an Ultra Carry that cracked in front of the rails at 1500 rounds! I shot less than 50 rounds of +P, the remainder being light lead reloads. One email to Kimber and the gun was on it's way to Yonkers. A new frame with a matching serial number was built, and I had the little gun back in eight weeks.

Now, there are a lot of people that say that the cracks in the dust cover in front of the rails are not serious. I, however, had a hard time accepting this after 1500 rounds. True, Kimber replaced the frame, but it kind of spoiled my taste for aluminum framed guns.

I still carry it and shoot it enough to stay wired to it, but I've only put 500 rounds through the new frame since I got it back. Hopefully, the first frame was the exception to the rule because I've heard many pistolsmiths say that Kimber produces the toughest aluminum frames to be found.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.