Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of getting a Kimber compact and was looking for opinions. I'll probably go for the steel version, just because I plan on shooting mine as often as possible. Any problems with the stainless version versus the carbon steel?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've got the stainless with stainless frame.
I liked the idea of all-steel, and in the NW I have concerns about rust, so it made sense to me.
I know more than a few folks who consider the aesthetics of blue steel to far outweigh the cons with finish-wearing.
(but Kimber doesn't do a blue compact, anyway.)

The matte finish on the rental at the range has worn off quite a bit, through a couple of hard use years, but being indoors and dry, it doesn't care much.

Is it to carry?
B/C if so, you may want to think about what happens after a thousand practice draws.

youngun

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It'll be for carry. That's why I was thinking stainless (reduced rust problems and even if it wears, it won't be as bad as blued). Eventually, it'll be hard chromed or nitrated.

And Kimber does make a blued compact. At least, they did the last time I checked. I've fondled more than a few of them.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Kimber calls their blued guns "matte black oxide".

Last November, I picked up a used Compact in this finish. Sadly, the previous owner did not believe in lubrication. The slide rails did look a little ugly. Seeing this, the dealer really gave me a good deal.

I could not be happier with it.
It is my everyday carry gun.
I have put thousands of rounds thru it without a malfunction.
This gun is definitely a good buy!

·
Registered
93 Posts
sorry, guys, I don't consider this "matte black oxide" to be a blued gun.
And I know they can do it right, cause I've seen it on their higher-end guns.
I'm sure the process is similar, controlled rusting so to speak, but it sure don't look as nice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.