Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have an opinion of this pistol? Am going to pick one up this weekend and would like to know anyones opinion who is willing to offer it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a used one and got it out to the range last week. I'm very happy with the overall fit and finish. The trigger is a little creepy and gritty, but not too bad and the pull is light. I have handled other Kimbers with better triggers, so if you have a chance to check a few of them out to determine which one to buy, make sure you dry fire a few. I was happy with the accuracy using both PMC and my hand loaded cartridges. Overall, it's well worth the $570 that I paid for it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The only Kimber I own is a stainless Target and I'm in love. I haven't had any of the problems I keep reading about with the rear sight, but I unfortunately don't get as much range time as a lot of members here. My trigger is SWEET, just a little teency takeup, and it breaks clean. Besides the looks it was the out of the box trigger that sold me on this. I use primarily S&B 230 HB for practice, with Win white box also because that's what my range sells. I was on the Federal HS wagon until I read Dave's great article on JHP's and now I'm waiting for Win ranger Talons and I now have Hornady JHP that fly through it with no problems. My only problem I have had was with the original magazine which is long ago history. A definite keeper.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a Custom Stainless Target II. The extractor doesn't fit. I'm a gun moron (pull trigger, go bang) but I've had a few people look (all well versed in 1911s) at it and they all showed me what was wrong--the gap for the extractor claw just won't bite onto the shell. When I rack the slide to eject an empty (malfunction drills) it just says in there. To get it out, I either have to rack the gun upside down, or pop the magazine out.

For a $500 cheapo gun this would have been OK, but at $950 (MSRP and that's what I paid for it) that's totally unacceptable.

Kimber offered to fix it for me free of charge, but I think I'm better off selling it to someone who wants it. Either that or I'll just run it into the ground like an lemon car that's too f***ed up to fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Skunkabilly,

The extractor is very easy to replace and isn't expensive. The only tools needed are the barrel wrench that came with your pistol and the mag catch lever. I'm pretty sure the Kimber owners manual has the instructions.

Brownell's has several available in the $20-30 range.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I know it's a quick and cheap fix, but it still sucks spending $950 for something that should have been right. At $500 or so it would have been excusable for them to give me crappy parts, but a company that builds 'custom' guns (i.e. fits them with parts to your liking, like Dell does with computers) is supposed to come with the right parts. Oh well. *sigh* back to my Europlastic guns...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've had a CST for over a year, and put probably about 2000 rounds through it. Fit and finish is excellent. Accuracy is consistently at least as good as advertised for the Super Match.

Never had a problem endemic to the pistol itself. Had someone local mess up a trigger job on it, but Kimber fixed it for me (for a reasonable price). It's my standard bullseye pistol, with a particular fondness for 200 gr. LSWCs. Also performs well in action shooting.

Highly recommend it.

Regards,
TBob

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have had a Stainless Target for almost two years now. I love the little booger. It goes bang when I pull the trigger, and it puts 'em where I point 'em.

Skunkabilly, I think you were had. $950 sounds pretty steep.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.