Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I had to stop by the one of the local gun stores to pick up some Break Free CLP, and under the glass was one of the new K2 compact guns. I asked to see it and John obliged. I asked him if he had any other K2's in, but he did not. He really wasn't aware of the differences between the orignal Kimber and the K2. I showed him and he did not think it was too bad. He said: "It had to be forced a bit, but not too bad."

I on the other had felt as if I had to really squeeze the grip safety- really mash it down. Has anyone purchased or shot one of these re-designed Kimber's?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have purchased the new Classic CDP. The full sized version of the CDP line. It is a K2 model, and feels great. HOWEVER, due to the rules here in the PRK, I cannot shoot until monday (my pickup day).

I was having withdrawals wednesday, so I went back to the store to handle my new toy. I did notice that the feel of the grip safety was nearly identical to my series 70 guns. The only problem was reassembling the gun... Don't hold down the grip safety when putting the slide back on the frame.

--Mark

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark for the response. Since it was just the one I tried, I was hoping for more input.

Denny

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ask me monday night. I'll have a couple hundred rounds thru it then...

--Mark :smile:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Does Kimber place the firing pin block in the same place in the slide that Colt and Para Ordnance do? I'm wondering if it would be possible to mix and match parts between these makers.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would imagine that it is NOT in the same place. It's a completely different design that works off the grip safety and has no noticable effect on the trigger pull (unlike a series 80 design).

14 hours and counting...

--Mark

·
Registered
285 Posts
OK, I just read a description of the new Kimber safety at 1911forum.com. Apparently the firing pin block is back under the rear sight rather than further up like the Colt/Para Ordnance block, so a Kimber slide mated to a Colt frame (or vice versa) won't have the plunger and the lever in the proper relationship.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well, I picked it up this morning, and put 150 rounds thru it. It shoots well. Just a hair left of POA, but that is probably my finger. The grip safety and firing pin block are not a problem. The trigger pull is a bit heavy, but that is OK. It's got a crisp clean break, and I can fix the pull myself.

I cleaned the pistol before I shot it to get an idea about how it was assembled. Very nice. Pulling the firing pin reveals the block. I don't like the idea of the firing pin block (JB didn't think it needed it), but at least it doesn't have a noticable effect on the trigger.

It does make assembly and disassembly a little different. I've been used to holding the frame before, but if you depress the grip safety, the pin goes up and prevents the slide from coming off. It also prevents replacing the slide when reassembling. Not a big deal, but something to get used to. I've never owned a series 80, but I imagine it has a similar problem.

All in all, I'll give it a favorable report.

--Mark

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Mark!

Any chance of pcitures of it broken down?

Denny

·
Registered
258 Posts
Sure. As soon as I can get my buddy's digital camera, I'll make some photos available.

--Mark

·
Registered
258 Posts
Here's a couple...

You can see the new firing pin design, and the little black part is the piece that is pushed up by the grip safety to deactivate the firing pin block.

You can see the firing pin block a little better in this photo. It's the pin next to the disconnector notch.

Reassembled with a target. That's an actual group from this gun. The grips are slim grips , half smooth, half checkered.

The other side...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MADman on 2001-05-04 17:38 ]</font>

·
Registered
258 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention that all the parts, EXCEPT the firing pin , are standard series 70 parts. I'm really pleased... If a firing pin block has to be added to a 1911, this is a great way to do it.

--Mark

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again!

Denny

·
Registered
876 Posts
Looks a lot like the original Colt Schwartz firing pin safety of about 1936. If it hadn't been for WW II, we might have had them standard for years now. Not that I think they are much needed.
My FLG will be interested to know that the hole for the slide plunger does not cut into the disconnector notch like it does on a Series 80 Colt. He has seen some badly worn Colt slides where the hammer only bears on one narrow side of the notch when the slide comes back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts