Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking of purchasing a new Kimber and was wondering how long one will last. For instance a HK USP has a service life of 20,000 rounds before any major service is needed.

·
Registered
705 Posts
hollowpath,

Welcome to the forum. Kimber frames, slides and barrels are very high quality parts. You should expect them to last as long as the best 1911s will. They tested their aluminum framed guns to 20,000 rounds. The steel framed guns should go considerably more rounds than that. How many rounds a month do you shoot? Are you seriously worried about wearing out a 1911? Unless you are shooting competively, most shooters will never wear out a 1911 in their lifetime. The Kimber is a quality product and a good bet for a lifetime of service.

DD

·
Registered
30 Posts
Maybe this will ease your fears. The indoor range, where I shoot, has a Charles Daly in their rental gun fleet. This gun has over 50,000 rds through it. I took it apart the other day to see how it was holding up. I could find no abnormal wear. It should be good for at least another 50,000.
I think we would all agree that a Charles Daly,while an excellent buy for the money, is not in the same class as a Kimber.

·
Registered
79 Posts
While Kimber tests their aluminum frames to 20K for WEAR, what they fail to tell you is about frame cracking. My Ultra Elite cracked at 9600 rounds, shooting all full load 230 grain ball and 230 gr & 160 gr. hollowpoint ammo.

As for wear, my frame was still extremely tight at 9600 rounds, sure enough. My slide wiggled less than most new guns I see at the shows. However, there were two nice little cracks just forward of the slide stop pin holes.

It was within the warranty and Kimber replaced the frame, no problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. Its good to know that Kimber took care of the problem. By the way what is the Kimber warranty like? Thanks again
RB

·
Registered
48 Posts
Double Naught Spy:

That frame cracking at 9,600 rounds is NOT GOOD NEWS. I have a Kimber compact cdp through which I shoot approx 400 rounds of 230 hb every month. While 9,600 sounds like a lot of shooting thats only 2 years of use from this pistol at a rather sedate rate!!!

Even Kimber's testing to 20,000 rounds only would give me a little over 4 years of tested reliability (if it makes it that far). I don't think I'd consider another alum. frame again upon consideration.

Have lightweight commanders proven to be more durable?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Breaking at 9600 is NOT good news. You are correct. I suggest you go heavy on changing your recoil springs VERY regularly. Those little springs take a lot of abuse.

Kimber service was fine. I contacted them via email about what to do. I then included an explicit letter that basically was a duplicate of my email. As I recall, the gun was back in about 3 weeks. I got a new frame, same serial number, and what looks to be new ambi safeties or they recoated them, I don't know. Everything else was the same.

The gun came back with no cover letter, no explanation, no nothing, but it worked fine and I now carry is less often and shoot it even less. It was my primary carry and practice gun.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
...just curious.
Do you still carry a lightweight?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I expect any of my 1911's to go for 4 or 5 hundred thousand rounds. I have 20,000 or so through one of my Kimbers and It has no sign of wear as expected. One of my colts is over 300,000 rounds of 10mm and 10,000 rounds of .40 S&W through it.
Once in a while you need to change the springs I change mine in January.
Extractors and slide stops break once in a while then I replace them with an Ed Brown part. No more problems.

I would not worry about wearing a Kimber or any other 1911 out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hellooooooooooooooooo!!!

After how many rounds should the recoil spring and barrel be replaced? I've shot 2000 rounds now with my Kimber Custom, am I due for replacement parts soon?!?!?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I take it the question about still carrying a lightweight was for me. The answer is yes and no. I still carry the Kimber when I want a lightweight travel gun (such as when hiking). Otherwise, I carry all steel guns.

The Kimber is a pretty good gun, but what many people fail to realize, including me, is that guns are not indestructable. When venturing off the standard path (from steel to aluminum or from a 5" to a 3.16" barrel), some of the parameters change. The Ultra Elite, Ulra CDP with aluminum frames are not a good gun for intensive and regular training, which is what I had been doing with mine. They are meant to be carried a lot and shot moderately.

G

·
0 Posts
Since I started changing my recoil springs at 3k I have not craked another 1911.
I recommend you change them every 3k.

I would expect your alloy guns to last between 15-25k and your quality steel frame .45s should last well over 100k.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-07-16 11:06 ]</font>

·
Registered
378 Posts
On 2001-07-16 10:26, Double Naught Spy wrote:
I take it the question about still carrying a lightweight was for me. The answer is yes and no. I still carry the Kimber when I want a lightweight travel gun (such as when hiking). Otherwise, I carry all steel guns.
Just a note, but Kimber IS coming out with an Eclipse in Ultra, it will be all stainless steel. I don't know if they'll do a basic model in all stainless.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts