Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to my local gun store/range today and picked up my new Kimber Pro Carry HD. My first Kimber and I am wondering why I waited so long. Out of the box, the fit was excellent. Very little slide to frame movement, no blemishes, sights were tight (have heard of sights falling off), magazine fit and release was good, and trigger came in at 4.5 lbs. I had several honey do's to do at home tonight but who has ever heard of someone buying a new gun and not shooting it as soon as possible. I had 100 rounds of 230 grain round nose and 100 rounds of 200 grain round nose (reloads) with me and couldn't resist. Picked up some targets and headed to the range area. Only had the one Kimber magazine that came with the pistol so I had to reload it way too many times. Fired the first 10 rounds with only one bullet loaded in the magazine to check for slide lock. 10 shots, 10 slide lock back. Then loaded the mag several times with only 3 rounds and tested for full auto. One trigger pull, one bang. Proceeded to shoot the rest of the bullets, seven at a time at 10, 50 and 75 feet. Accuracy was exceptional for an out of the box pistol. Most guns shoot better than I do and I managed to shoot 1 to 3 inch groups at all distances respectively. Recoil was minimal and sight picture acquisition after firing was quick. Next week the front sight will be replaced with a white dot and a speed chute added.
Stainless frame and slide were chosen due to the fact that I have heard Kimber expects their aluminum frames to last around 20k rounds and the stainless to last around 100k rounds. Since I love to shoot, I didn't want to run the risk of shooting out the gun.
Regarding magazines, I seem to have good luck with magazines from the various manufacturers (SA, Colt, Browning, and Beretta) so I have 8 round magazines on order from Kimber.
I have heard that there can be problems with function and fit before you hit the 500 to 1000 round mark (break-in period). If this is the case and the pistol will shoot better after 500 to 1000 rounds, I will be one happy camper. All in all I feel this was a wise purchase and if there happens to be any problems in the future, I have heard that Kimber customer service scores high.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Wierdest thing, two seperate Pro HD's, new in box special order, and both had a mark on teh frame, and hammer. It looks like they dropped the hammer without the slide on. They were both pretty close in S#'s, so maybe it was a certain assembler or something....

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Pro Carry is a nice pistol. A friend of mine is one of the lucky owners of a Pro Carry HD that "mistakenly" got checkering on front strap. Apparently, a few pistols got this front strap treatment so it appears to be very rare. Very nice! Never got to shoot a pro carry yet, however am considering purchasing its prior incarnation(the SLE) or the Pro carry HD. Very nice choice in a pistol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.