Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made the plunge and bought a Kimber Pro CDP. I pretty much decided on either the Wilson or the McCormick Power Mags. I have been online for about 3 hours reading and enjoying everyone's direct answers and help to Kimber questions. Magazine price is not a question, total reliabilty for my family is. Thanks for your help.
Al

·
Registered
16 Posts
First, I have no experience with the CMC Power Mag but have used several of the 8 round CMC "standard" mags.
I'd think carefully before using the Power Mags in an alloy-framed gun. Power Mags still appear to use the same follower that the standard CMC mags use. In the standard mags the follower can move forward and gouge the feed ramp on your frame. What has been done to the Power Mags, besides a heavier spring, to prevent this?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've used several Wilson 8 round mags in my PRO CDP. I haven't had any problems with them and no malfunctions with the gun. I've never tried the cheap mag that came with the gun. Don't think you will go wrong with Wilson mags.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Some of the salesmen out here in Hawaii try to sell you just what they carry not necessarily what works best.

Aloha
Al

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My thanks to everyone. I am ordering my Wilson 47D's today. I have 11 days of the "14 day waiting period" left to pick up my Kimber. I will let you know how it shoots when I get it. I can buy a rifle and shotgun today but I have to wait 14 days for my .45, that makes alot of sense.
Aloha

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today was the big day, after the 14 day waiting period, to pick up my Kimber Pro CDP. I had my brand new Wilson-Rodgers 47D Mag's in hand. My wife and I picked up the permit from Honolulu PD and went to the gun shop, I was smiling all the way. We got to the door around 10:00am started to go in, but yes you guessed it, it was locked. The store is closed Monday's and Tuesday's. My wife laughed so hard I thought she would start rolling on the ground. I thought you could all use a laugh. More to follow after I pick it up on Wednesday and take it to the range.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I finally picked up my new Pro CDP. The fit and finish was great. After a good cleaning and oiling with regular gun oil (no teflon) I was off to the range, 200 rounds later later of 230gn ball, I had no FTF. The pistol and new mags functioned together very well. At 25 yds I had a nice group, but it was 3 inches low and 3 1/2 inches to the left. I know I can adjust the rear site for windage but I am a little concerned about the elevation. I know I shouldn't worry until the gun is broken in. My question is this: 1. Will adding a shock buff to it decrease relibility in this model?

Thanks Al

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DIVER AL on 2001-08-22 01:58 ]</font>

·
Registered
120 Posts
Will adding a shock buff to it decrease relibility in this model?

Probably will. Wilson doesn't recommend shock buffs in anything but gov't size guns if memory serves. Don't worry about your elevation problem just yet. Get some different ammo first.

Congrats on your new iron.

Callahan

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the advice. I took my new Kimber back out to the range yesterday and every thing worked great and no FTF. I did use different ammo and the group was within ½” low of point of aim. I just had the Kimber Custom shop replace the dead Mep front site, great service. See the thread on "Kimber Tritium sights a Problem?” Thanks for your help. There is a gun show out here this morning and I will see if there is a Wilson mag spring kit and follower I can pick up.
Aloha
Diver Al

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DIVER AL on 2001-09-01 12:45 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DIVER AL on 2001-09-02 04:47 ]</font>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.