Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, no sooner than my Kimber gets Black T'd and is breaking in again, the stupid MIM ejector gets loose and starts causing stovepipes and ejecting erratically. Rather than mess with the part, I called EGW and ordered a couple of their ejectors and some solid pins. I now buy two or more of everything, b/c it'll break or get messed up if I have only one (thanks Shay).

Here's a pic of the Kimber ejector, the original sized EGW ejector, and the EGW profiled in front.

I measured a few guns, realized that no two had the same ejector length, and settled on starting at about a .115" extension before I profiled the face. It became much shorter by the time I was done. I slotted the ejector leg with a round file, wishing all the while that I had a really tiny parallel round file about .060" diameter, or one of the Brownell's screw slot files. Next time. I also wished I had a pin punch that was about .060", as the 1/16" punch was slightly larger than the hole in the frame.

It was a real treat fitting the ejector to the slide and frame, since I had to dodge the existing Black T finish. A little patience and masking tape kept everything safe. Here's what it looks like now:

The slot in the slide is a bit taller than the ejector, but the ejector needed to be shaved down on the very top and left side to clear the slide. After test firing, some cold blue oughta cover it ok. For now, the pin and ejector are affixed in the frame with blue Loctite, in case I want to have the parts refinished to match the gun.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I went to the range and put over 400 rounds through the gun today. There were zero ejection malfunctions, and the brass went out to the side in a big pile. I think I still want to check the extractor and ejector a bit more though, as a few rounds went out to 12:00.

I had one malfunction today, a high angle jam into the hood. Not sure what's causing this - mag spring issues, tight extractor, or something else. Anyone? I ran many more rounds through the magazine in question, and there were no more malfunctions for about 250 rounds (I ran out of ammo).

The gun also has a new SA mag well on it, and it's been really hard to blend it without scratching the Black T. Next time I'll wait a lot longer to apply the final finish to the gun!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shay, you've convinced me to move along! This baby is on the For Sale forum, looking for a new home! It's for sale with the original Ahrends Dymondwood rosewood grips. I'll send the original Black T'd ejector and roll pin along, though the SA mag well comes off. If it finds a new home, I'm sure I'll miss it, but there will be others to take its place on the workbench!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.