Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FWIW, The 3-Dot Trit. on an Elite Carry bought in'98 went dead as a doornail in ca. 1 yr. A friend sent this link concerning a problem someone else has had with their/his Meps. Given the very recent negative posts re, some of Kimber's Biz policies, etc.: This is not an attempt to discredit Kimber. Simply FYI.
http://hometown.aol.com/kimberruger/meprolight.htm

·
Registered
58 Posts
I.ve read this complaint a few times and from what I have seen the Meps (if they are Meps) on Kimbers really suck. This is a shame because I have Meps on a Sig 228, P7M8, Glock 30 and the front site on my 9mm AR and all are well made sturdy and bright after several years (much brighter than the trijicons I have on other guns, not htat brightness = quality). Too bad Kimber is destroying thier reputation by putting inferior sites on thier guns and advertising them as Meps.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Dunno about life cycle, but the dealer-demo Classic Royal that I purchased not long ago has the dimmest night sights I've ever seen.

Part of the reason I bought that particular gun was the night sights. I have the same 3-dot setup on all my pistols. Some are Trijicons, some are Meprolights. I like 'em both. But the factory Kimber night sights just don't cut it, in my opinion.

Chad

G

·
I belive it may have had something to do with the production runs that year on tritium as I also have some MMCs that have gone dim from 1999.

The inserts on my Kimber from 1999 were dim to start and havew since gone out.

But, I also have a set of "old" Wilson Nite Eyes that have gone dim on an early 2000 gun.

I have prepared a letter with each gun and will be sending them in for repair under the warranty to each maker.
Wilsons has already responded that my sights will be upgraded to the new models for free.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Meprolite made Kimbers Sights even before Kimber took them over but to Kimbers specs.
If you want night sights pay the price and get Novak's or Heinie;s
shoot and forget

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just had the same problem with my one week old CDP. Bright front site out of the box and a dead one after the first day on the range. I will talk to my local dealer and call Kimber tomarrow. I will let everyone know how it works out. I'm not very happy.

Al

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DIVER AL on 2001-08-22 02:05 ]</font>

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ordered night sights from Kimber and the front one went dead right away too. I emailed Kimber but never received a response. I will have Wilson night sights on it tomorrow. The Kimber shoots so awesome that I dont hold the poor service and sights against Kimber and I am even thinking of picking up a Kimber pro cdp as a second!

techo

·
Registered
23 Posts
My Eclipse is at Kimber for a new front sight also. Here's the email I got on 8/2 from Kimber after I questioned why they continued to ship night sight equipped pistols with a known problem:

"Thank you for your letter.

We are aware of the problem that existed with primarily one batch of front night sights, and addressed the problem by removing the batch from the production line. New batches of front sights are, in fact, screened to insure they are glowing properly, and any suspect units are culled. The sights are manufactured by Meprolight, and underwent a nine week qualification test program that included vibration, mechanical, mechanical shock, thermal shock, rapid fire, brightness, humidity, low temperature, salt fog, high and low pressure and solvent immersion. In addition to in-process and final inspections, each day’s total production receives random sample testing for scintillation count. Lot acceptance testing includes sampling in accordance with MIL-STD-105D, and 100% testing for comparative brightness and batch wipe or immersion testing. The warranty on the sights is 12 years. Overall, Meprolight has experienced a one half of 1% failure rate over 2 ½ million sets produced.

We will promptly replace your sight under the terms of the warranty. Please return the slide only to us:"

This is a pretty foolish answer in light of how common this problem has been over the past months. It's one thing to ignore your customers' concerns, but it's really silly to think they're foolish enough to accept a lie. Warranties are meant to cover random failures of products which every manufacturer has from time to time. These don't chase customers away. Shipping your products with known problems for months maintains cash flow, but then suggesting that your quality is really statistically just fine and the customer has the mistaken belief that there IS a problem....well that's really sinister in my book.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just got off the phone with Kimbers Custom shop. They were very helpful and said the problem seems to be with Mep 2nd generation front sights. They said to send the slide to them explaining what's wrong and request 3rd gereration sight replacement. They said it will be a one day turn around. I will let you know how it goes.
Regards
Al

·
Registered
24 Posts
I sent my Pro CDP slide to Kimber's Custom Shop. It arrived there Monday 27 Aug and UPS was knocking on my door Wednesday 29 Aug. I took it to the range yesterday put a box of 230gr ball through it and the front site still glows bright. I'm not happy it went out in the first place but I take my hat off to Winslow and the Kimber Custom shop team. Great customer service.
Regards

Diver Al

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Diver Al, Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.