Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I'm just curious on what the census is. I'm betting the feeling you ae going to say Kimber though.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Easy bet hollowpath. I think the 1911 is the finest fighting handgun ever devised. :cool:

Seriously, to make the question a little more informational for you, it would help if you would give us your buying criteria, in order to decide which is "better". *Better* is such a subjective thing. Perhaps you could tell us what you like (or dislike) about the H&K USP or the Kimber? For me, the USP feels really clunky and has a terrible trigger by comparison. It is also kinda thick for CCW purposes. What would you want to use the gun for? If you want to use it for a nightstand gun, then the H&K is certainly a quality gun and well suited to that purpose. One caveat, my opinion is biased by many years of shooting 1911s. I am simply better with this pistol than any other I have tried. You really need to get trigger time with both guns (rental guns at a range can help with that) in order to decide which suits you best. Either of them are first class firearms. It is really not that one is better per se, they are just different.

DD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Desert Dog on 2001-05-16 02:53 ]</font>

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've had both, now I have one...the Kimber, for the same reasons posted above, Trigger and the clunky feel, never had any kind of FTF though
Regards SonnyD

·
Registered
934 Posts
It feels like a Glock trying to be a 1911. Other than that it's not bad, but I'd take the Kimber any day.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My good friend just bought a USP, he and his wife are both HK nuts. They hated the USP. Not accurate at all (both are accomplished shooters/reloaders).

mark

G

·
This is hard for me , but the Kimber is definitely a better carry gun and is beyond a doubt easier to shoot fast and well. If I were speaking of a carry/field gun for hostile environments the USP is the clear winner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought the KIMBER pro carry and have the HK USP 40 and 45.........my fav is the 40USP in the HK....FIrst time I have shot and owned a Kimber and have fired about 300 rounds aNd ABSOLUTLEY LOVE it!! For sure a GREAT GUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Try asking the same question on the HK Forum and you might get some different answers...

I have several 1911s and several HKs. Both have their purpose. I perform best with the 1911, but I still love my USP45. I have the match trigger installed along with a weaponlight. The USP is probably the best choice if you are looking for reliability, performance, and the ability to accept modular lasers/lights/etc., on a budget. That is not to say the 1911 is not capable of the same thing; it will just cost a bit more to get it to perform to its potential.

As far as accuracy, the stock USP is capable of 3-4" groups at 25 yards. Drop in a Bar-Sto barrel and this will decrease to 1.5-2" groups. The USP does not have MIM parts like the Kimber, and the USP's out of the box reliability is typically better than the Kimber's. YMMV. Just make sure you have big enough hands to handle the USP.

Tim

·
Registered
140 Posts
A classic apples vs. oranges debate. Both my agency issue and personal HK USP45s are accurate, reliable, comfortable and more "politically correct" defensive handguns. I like my Kimber Stainless Gold Match so much that I obtained a second one. (The deal was too good to pass up.) It all depends on one's purpose and requirements. Although many a shooter loves the feel of the 1911, I actually prefer the feel of the larger H&K.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts