Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start this post by admitting I was the cause of the damage to my gun. I admit that I double charged the case and blew the silde off. I sent the gun to Dane and he looked it over and feels all it needs is a new slide, he sent it to Kimber and they said it was totally wrecked and just wanted to keeep it, without giving me anything back!!!
Dane fought and argued and Kimber agreed to send a new slide and Dane would put humpty dumpty back together for me.
The box arrived at Dane's place and no slide was included. I have offered to pay for a slide and Kimber will not sell me one. Things must be slow in the sales department as Kimbers best answer is for me to buy a whole new gun. Again all I need is the damned slide, but since this is an ultra carry, the only place to get a slide is Kimber. After hearing all the good ways people have been treated by Kimber I must say I am very dissapointed in this.
Will I buy another Kimber.
Probably not.
I would like to thank Dane for all the trouble he went to to try and help me. I just wish we had gotten more support from Kimber.

Eric W. Kelley

·
Registered
350 Posts
Eric, I feel for you and the way they are treating you is ticking me off too. This may be a liability concern. They are worried that the frame may be screwed up and the thing will blow up in your hands. Why don't you ask if you can send the frame for inspection and have them put a new slide on it after they have checked it out. I know that if Dane says it is okay then it is okay, but they don't know that. Maybe they will work with you on this. Good luck and please let us know what happens.
Jake

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We did send it to the factory and the y not only said they thought the gun was destroyed,
but were not even going to give it back.
They just wanted to keep it and force me to go buy a new one. Also I forgot to mention earlier that I tried to call them several times myself, and they hardly ever return calls and when you do get a real person they are very rude and act like you don't have a brain.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm surprised Kimber would not sell you a slide. What if you sent the slide off for new sights and it got lost or stolen??? They would make you buy a whole new gun? That's ridiculous...

Don't feel too bad. Your not the first one to do something like this. I did it 26 yrs ago with my brand new Gold Cup. Had to get a new barrel and bushing. To add insult to injury, I sent it to Fred Kart and UPS delivered an empty box. So, now I needed a new bbl, bushing, slide, sights, ect. Fred put my baby back together again. Shot great. Then 26 yrs later the whole gun got stolen by a once famed gunsmith....Hang in there. It will all be better soon.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems. Only suggestions I can think of is to cruise gun sales sights like gunsamerica or gunbroker and see if anyone is selling a used ultra carry slide. Good luck.

·
Registered
378 Posts
On 2001-06-28 21:06, harley45 wrote:
Unfortunately the dust cover is shorter on this gun as is a barrel so an officers won't work. Dane tried
Okay, I know Colt's Defender slide would be harder to get than the Kimber probably, perhaps try Para-Ord, they make the P10, which is close.
Doesn't Cylinder & Slide make something like it too?
(Just trying options.)

As for suieng them, I guess it's possible, but they didn't really make a faulty product, they just won't help out.
We had a customer that blew his Super Match the day after he bought it and Kimber repaired it, that's why I'm so surprised at their behaviour in this matter.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Kimber has royally pissed me off in the past too, harley. Those damnable high capacity polymer things they sold a few years ago....

If you caused the damage, I don't see where Kimber being an ass about it gives you a case against them, sadly.

If Dane says the rest of the pistol is fine, I would have a slide built for it, some place. Or, find another gun and fall in love all over again. :grin:

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
The reply from Kimber, as I understand it, is that Harley's frame and the gun are a liability issue and will not be replaced.

Stay tuned, as I will be shooting a resurected version of this gun today.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-06-29 13:24 ]</font>

·
Registered
72 Posts
I also had a problem with Kimber "disservice" that pissed me off. I needed a new beavertail safety (the old one was botched by a smith) and Kimber told me that they wouldn't sell me any fire control parts. What BS! Luckily I found a CMC beavertail (older model) that was the same as the Kimber original. It's outrageous to make a gun that uses proprietary parts and then refuse to sell them to a customer.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.