Pistol Smith Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

· Registered
225 Posts
On 2001-04-14 20:59, Bruce wrote:
~snip~

I probably sound like a street preacher, but take it from the original cheap bastard...if you are going to own 1 1911, get your hands on one from Burns, Heinie or Vickers. I know there are Wilson fans here, and Les fans, etc., but the difference really is there.
No need to preach to me there. I've been shooting my recently aquired Kimber classic custom head to head with the Wilson MP(they look almost identical) I bought just a few months before that and the Kimber is just about to top the Wilson. In another thread concerning Wilsons being compared to LB's I mentioned something to this effect. The Wilson has the edge in that it has been melted and has a better trigger but thats about it. In the ammo sensitivity dept. the Kimber blows the Wilson away. The Wilson refuses to eat Fiocci(hungary mfg) but the Kimber runs and runs and has better sights(Kimber is stock vs night sites on the Wilson)! I'm seriously thinking of selling the Wilson (was considering a little work to be done on it but I think just getting rid of it would be best). I've got about 1000rds through each and the Kimber has yet to malfunction(may not seem like much but I hate having a $1400 gun that won't go into battery unless it's got it's favorite ammo in the mag vs a $700 one that runs like a top with everything I've tried so far. We'll se after a few thousand more which holds up and which gets the boot.

Full custom or factory is it for me anymore. These semi-customs just can't hang.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eugene D. Goodwin on 2001-06-16 19:07 ]</font>

· Registered
225 Posts
On 2001-06-20 11:44, Anthony Lombardo wrote:
have you tried checking the chamber on your Wilson??, sounds like the chamber is too-tight to accept some out-of-spec (Hungarian??) ammo.

Let us know what it spec's at.
I'm not much on measuring stuff(I'll see what I can do :roll: heh heh)...but from other threads on here as well as 1911forum the fiocci is a bit on the long side and "out of round" especially the hungarian mfg lots apparently(can't remember where I read that). also Wilson lists it as ammo not to use in thier guns because of some of these same reasons. I'll probably keep it for a while until I can afford to send a frame to a smith for a full house .45. Then it's gonesville.

· Registered
259 Posts
I guess it boils down to what YOU want in a gun.

Tight chamber or Loose chamber.

For a carry gun, a chamber that is in spec but slightly on the loose side of the spec would probably be best.

I would BET that your Kimber chamber is oversize, as opposed to undersize like many of their early guns.

· Registered
225 Posts
On 2001-06-21 12:08, Anthony Lombardo wrote:
I guess it boils down to what YOU want in a gun.

Tight chamber or Loose chamber.

For a carry gun, a chamber that is in spec but slightly on the loose side of the spec would probably be best.

I would BET that your Kimber chamber is oversize, as opposed to undersize like many of their early guns.
Anthony,
On the preference thing your absolutely 100%. I guess I like reliability(which again is subjective)over accuracy. Guess I can't get both till I get my Burns 9x23 job :grin: I've also got a few other issues with the Wilson that are mostly cosmetic like the finish(trigger is too light for me as well)...I'm not sorry I got it or anything as I've lusted for them for many years and it is very sweet, when fondling and dry firing, but it took owning one and shooting it to see what I really wanted...now I know (almost :wink: ).

Eugene

Eugene

· Registered
13 Posts
Just noticed on the Heine web sight that he has temporarily stop selling Kimber spec'd sights due to the increased variation from pistol to pistol.

What's going on at Kimber?
I dunno... I think this may be a case of passing the buck/fingerpointing.

I ordered two sets of Heinie Slant Pro's for two Kimbers: One Compact CDP I bought two years ago (IIRC) and one Stainless II I bought 4 months ago. On both of them the front sights were too small for the dovetails. They both shot loose. My local smith has had trouble getting them to stay put. (Maybe that's a 'smith issue but still...)

IMHO if it's a Kimber issue it's been that way for a long time.

Dane, are you using Heinie front sights, or somebody else's?

I may send these pistols to you and make it "your problem." :smile:

41 - 46 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.