Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now the budget is about $2000 for parts and labor exluding the gun itself or possibly gun/frame purchased.

Here is basically what I'm considering for a Springfield Mil-Spec. Still could be a Colt or Kimber.
1.)med to heavy, rounded dehorn
2.)Heinie straight Eight sights
3.)Ed Brown beavertail and ambi safety
4.)Grips
4.)STI trigger and HD sts firing pin
5.)ISMI springs
6.)Tool steel hammer, sear, disconnector, strut
7.)Flat mainspring housing
8.)Long ejector
9.)Heavy duty standard style spring guide and plug
10.)Schueman stainless barrel (fluted bull barrel)
11.)Serrate the rear of the slide at 40 lpi to match the Heinies
12.)Scallops on front strap and mainspring housing
13.)Slim down the frontstrap and have the
tang welded to fit an Ed Brown beavertail
14.)hard chrome or two tone
15.)Reliability work
16.)flattop the slide and serrate it 40 lpi

What additional work would be necessary when comparing a purchased gun to a purchase of a slide/frame and having a Smith put in these parts? What else am I missing if the parts being replaced are equal.

It don't make much sense to me that someone purchases a gun for a custom piece (If you knew that to begin with) and then ends up replacing all the parts on that gun except for the slide/frame. With the little time I've have had to spend so far it appear (at least on the Caspian) I can get the slide/frame for a little less than the Springfield Mil-Spec. I don't know about some of the other producers. That amount goes up even more with the Colt or Kimber.

Thanks,
Tim

Here is the problem for today. There have to be a few smiths out there willing to tackle this budget and price list?

With a Kimber you very close on the money IMO. Heinies' full house gun is only $2600 on a Colt or Springfield.

· Registered
585 Posts
Thanks Dane, this forum has definitely been very helpful to a new 1911 owner. I've talked with a couple different people over the past month. They have also been very helpful but I do understand if you guys spend all your time on the phone, no work gets done. This forum has allowed me the opportunity to fill in gaps of knowledge (still have a lot to learn) and ask those questions that just keep coming to me.

What I'm trying to clear up in my mind is the following: What I'm trying to figure is what work and additional cost I'm missing when comparing a Springfield or Kimber pistol purchase (then replacing with the above parts) to a Slide/Frame only purchase (then utilizing the parts listed).

Thanks,
Tim

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KIMBGLOCK on 2001-07-15 23:33 ]</font>

· Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The best grade gun will be built from the ground up starting with a custom frame and slide.

The second best gun IMO will be a Kimber built to your specs.

A close tie but beaten by the amount of money you'll spend redoing a number of things will be a Springfield or a Colt to your spec.

Just my opinion. As I discussed with a customer today, 3 or 4 years ago a Colt was an obvious choice for a best grade gun. As was a Springfield. I think today the Springfiled holds the edge on Colt because of the Series 80 parts and the quality. But nothing is without cost. The dust ciover and front strap needs recutting on the Springfield.

The access to better frames and Caspian slides IMO puts the rest to shame.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.