Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased A M-16 Zytel folder from CRKT; it's great so far, I like everything about it (except for a perhaps less than perfect sharpening job, but easily remedied and a minor thing.). The deal is, it already seems to be showing a teeny tiney (and I mean tiny) bit of rust (I think) on the back part of the blade that is exposed when closed - was around the ocean for a few days which probablly did it-. What are your favorite ways of dealing with such ordeals, and while i'm at it, knife care products in general.
Thanks

By the by, it has a stainless steel blade with some sort of "frost" matt finish.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you wish to remove the rust without metal-removal, I suggest a product similar to 'Tarnite'. Just wipe it on, wipe it off and repeat if necessary to remove the rust. The rust pitting will remain, but the rust will be gone.

Look for "oxalic acid" in the ingredients, regardless of brand. Oxalic acid will digest the oxides, without attacking the surrounding metal area.

I have a CRKT Point Guard. I like the workmanship and fit of CRKT knives, but find the aus6 alloy a bit soft, compared to alloys such aus8 or ats34.

Hope this works for you.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
That "frost matt finish" that you refer to is why you got the slight flecks of rust. Because the blade is not polished, there are a lot more microscopic "holes" for crud and moisture to get trapped in.

I've got the carbon fibre handle version of this same knife, and it has the same blade finish, but is aus118 steel. I simply smear a good coat of oil (what ever you use for your guns should be fine) over the blade and wipe off leaving a thin film. For some reason, Tetra Gun L seems to bond to this type of finish, and fill those small "holes" in pretty well. I use it on all my blades now.

I agree with bad4u that aus6 is slightly on the soft side, but as long as you keep the blade lubed, you shouldn't have any more problems.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shane Kropf on 2001-07-29 20:34 ]</font>

·
Registered
126 Posts
Try a Tuf-Cloth from Sentry Solutions. They deposit a highly effective DRY layer which protects against corrosion and is resistant to being washed off. If you need heavy duty protection, use the Marine version.

I have used them here in coastal South Carolina with great sucess. And if my recommendation isn't good enough for you, it says right on the package, "Tested and Used by Navy Seals." :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Cosby on 2001-07-30 17:44 ]</font>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.