Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with Krav Maga? I was watching the Discovery Channel the other night and it was mentioned. Seemed like a powerful, effective and simple system.

There's a book that looks pretty good, written by the founder/inventor of Krav Maga:

Krav Maga : How to Defend Yourself Against Armed Assault
by Imi Sde-Or, Eyal Yanilov
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 02-4127250
Just looking for some feedback on the fighting style (and the book, if possible).

Chad

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chad Ward on 2001-07-06 11:27 ]</font>

G

·
I've taken Krav for around 2 years. Like Jeet Kun Do and others, it is a mixed martial art... they borrowed from silat, muay thai, etc. and formed it into a separate system. It is easily learned and you can get up to speed faster than in the traditional arts. I think one strength of Krav, is in their work on weapons disarms. They have some of the best IMO (and no I don't agree with every one... but most are good). I think the one weakness of the system is a lack of groundfighting/takedowns. As I understand, the head folks out in LA (there are some politics between the NY and LA groups) have recognized this, and have developed a good response to this criticism that is to become a part of the regular curriculum.

As a system, it will get you going fairly fast. It has many more strengths than weaknesses. They have a special group that does LE/military seminar training that will have things not included in the normal curriculum (weapon retention and such).

I still take seminars from others as often as I can to suppliment this and see if others have something I think will work better for me. - Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.