Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with Krav Maga? I was watching the Discovery Channel the other night and it was mentioned/demonstrated. Seemed like a powerful, effective and simple system.

There's a book that looks pretty good, written by the founder/inventor of Krav Maga:

Krav Maga : How to Defend Yourself Against Armed Assault
by Imi Sde-Or, Eyal Yanilov
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 02-4127250
Just looking for some feedback on the fighting style (and the book, if possible).

Chad

·
Registered
388 Posts
Krav Maga in Hebrew means full contact fighting.
It is a very simple technique that can be taught to solders in a few weeks to know the basics of H2H. It is very close to what Dane teaches in his combat classes. Again for the same reason of not enough time. It is a mixed art of Karate, Judo, Thai Boxing etc. and keeps on evolving with new stuff, as new instructers with different Martial arts backgrounds get involved in it.
In Krav Maga everything is allowed because it isn’t a sport. Biting, poking in the eyes, chairs, bottles, sticks. Anything you can use as a weapon.

Try a search under Krav Maga, I have heard of some instructors that are teaching in the US.

The biggest problem is to teach "aggression" and not the technique itself. I have seen many guys freeze when it came to the real thing. Guys that did pretty good on the mat.

Hope this helps,

Shay

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shay on 2001-07-09 15:59 ]</font>

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shay, thanks for the reply. I've done some basic searching on Krav Maga to discover its origins, doctrine and application. Looks pretty good.

I've studied a couple of forms of martial arts in the past, but never found one that was truly "street worthy," at least not the way they're taught in most classes. The last thing I want is to try a double-back-spinning-doodah and discover that I'm not holding my mouth just right :grin:.

Powerful, simple, effective -- that's what I'm looking for. I was researching Phillipine Kali & Escrima as well as boning up on the Shotokan karate-based style the New Zealand SAS uses when I saw the Discovery Channel show that featured Krav Maga. I was impressed by the philosophy -- organized street fighting with none of the competition-based techniques that have turned so many martial arts into sports.

I may have to try and find an instructor. Tough to do in the middle of f'ing nowhere, but it can't hurt to try.

Chad

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chad Ward on 2001-07-09 16:45 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Shay! I never said to bite any one :roll: But then again I never said not to either did I :wink:

Greg Hamilton has a great line about combatives or krav maga. "Look up the sport martial arts. Then look for all the things that are forbidden in a full contact contest.
Now take all those techniques and make a fighting style from them."

Certainly that is what I teach. I don't know all the forbidden rules or techniques but I or Insights or anyone that teaches a good combatives program offers much of the same.

One of the best techniques I use personally is so dangerious in a class room environment that the students only get a short demonstartion of the techniques. There is no, "show, tell, do" in that section of the class past me showing and telling.

No secret ninja shit...just really effective techniques to severly physically damage people quickly.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On 2001-07-09 22:25, Dane Burns wrote:
No secret ninja shit...just really effective techniques to severly physically damage people quickly.
No doubt fully integrated into a comprehensive pistol/folder/empty-hand system. I am really looking forward to that class in October :grin:.

Chad

·
Registered
893 Posts
On 2001-07-09 22:25, Dane Burns wrote:
One of the best techniques I use personally is so dangerious in a class room environment that the students only get a short demonstartion of the techniques. There is no, "show, tell, do" in that section of the class past me showing and telling.

Dane. Is that the one you demonstrated on that hapless kid in the Master Ninja video? :grin:

Seriously, Krav Maga looks as effective as any martial skill you are willing to put time and effort into.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.