Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
152 Posts
A Krebs Pointman has been my daily carry gun for about a year. Mine is two-tone, hard chrome frame and Black-T slide.
Gun has Krebs' match barrel with the lug shimmed, and is the most accurate 1911 I own. Very smooth gun right out of the box, its glassy smooth after a few thousand rounds. Krebs did a very nice job of melting the edges, including beveling the underside edges of the slide. The skateboard tape inletted into the grip frame is a nice touch and works well. His prices are a bit low for work of this quality.

· Registered
669 Posts

Marc Krebs Pointman

This looks to be a no-nonsense solid pistol choice. Priced starting at $1,295 and built on a quality CMC frame and slide, it is IMO, serious competition for any of the current production customs on the market. While I have no first hand experience with the Pointman, Marc Krebs' excellent reputation for building custom 1911s is a significant endorsement -- as are the positive comments based on Tom Givens' personal experiences with his Pointman. The recessed front strap panel (w/traction tape inserts) is a bit unusual. While this would seem to be a very practical alternative to checkering, I do wonder if it would a deciding factor, where future resale is a consideration. But if the pistol is going to be a 'keeper', this is of little consequence. There is another active Krebs thread here.

The features listed on their web site include: "Fire control tuning package, including Videcki trigger, McCormick hammer, sear and disconnector, adjusted to a crisp 4 lb. pull. Beveled magazine well. Full length stainless stell recoil spring guide rod for smoother function and improved handling characteristics. Carry bevel and bead blast with black oxide finish. Throating and polishing, including: tensioning, polishing and tuning extractor for positive extraction and ejection; polished and buffed feed ramp; polished bolt face; throated and polished barrel and ramp. Recessed front strap panel with Traction System insert. The Traction System insert is a 3M non-skid product that is placed in the recessed portion of the front and sides of the front strap, locking the insert in place and enhancing durability. This is often mistaken for stippling, and different grits are available. Lowered and relieved ejection port for positive ejection. Front and rear slide grip serrations. Krebs custom 416 stainless steel press lock match barrel with precise slide to frame fit; excellent accuracy - 2" or less at 25 yards. Krebs Custom extended ejector for positive ejection. Dehorning or carry bevel: front of slide, dust cover, and bottom edge of the slide are all machined to a radius, and hand polished. The back of the slide is hand radiused and blended with the ejector, extractor and frame. All other shape or high areas are similarly treated."

DD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Desert Dog on 2001-06-05 11:13 ]</font>

· Registered
199 Posts
I agree with what Desert Dog has stated above. If I wanted a non-full house semi-custom pistol, I would definitely go with the Pointman. The only two things I don't like are the front cocking serrations (which I hate on any gun), and the grip tape. Just my personal opinion that grip tape does not belong on any gun I own.
Other than that, it looks like a great gun, especially for the money.

· Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I agree with the front cocking serrations but will have to disagree with the grip tape. I like the grip tape and for the price would be able to reload 5000 rounds for the difference in grip tape and checkering. I think those 5000 rounds would make me a much better shooter than the checkering would. I find checkering no more functional than grip tape and much more expensive. But my number one priority is functionality/reliability and not looks. Your opinion may vary and I would hope it would. It would be a boring world otherwise.

Thanks again for all your replies.
Bill DeZarn

· Registered
199 Posts
Bill,
True, I have no doubt grip tape can be as functional as checkering. I only like checkering for looks...nothing more.

I just don't like the idea of grip tape on my gun. Just my own personal preference. If it works for you, that's what counts :smile:

· Registered
30 Posts
I agree that aesthetically, the non-skid material takes a back seat to checkering or stippling, and Heinie's scallops. It works though, and on a combat gun, that's all that counts. It might make resale more difficult, as one said. Might. One could always add a checkered panel to the frontstrap later (Brownell's sells them), if checkering was desired. Maybe not the ideal solution, but...

Krebs MIGHT offer the PointMan with a smooth strap if you asked, or stipple/checker at extra cost, but it would extend delivery time for sure, I bet. The non-skid surely contributes to making the gun a very fairly priced semi-custom. IMO. Givens' endorsement is enough for me!

· Registered
939 Posts
Bill:

I shot one and it is a nice pistol. Better than my Kimber Gold Combat, for even a little less money.

If you are looking to buy in this price range, look hard at the Krebs' pistol, and also look at the Valtro pistol by Jardeen [sp?]. I hear excellent reviews of the Valtro by a cop friend / pistol instructor who owns one.

Bruce

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.