Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would provide some Pics & thoughts on three brands of Kydex Holsters that I own.

Left to right: Talon A10 for a 1911 by Mike Benedict. SKD Ky-Tech SuperHooper for a Glock 19 by Dave Elderton. Early Blade Tech for a 1911.

These are quality & I like them all. For me the important issue is that _unlike_ the cheap Uncle Mikes & Forbus plastic these hold the Gun by pressure along the slide.

The Uncle Mikes & Forbus ( and perhaps other brands I have not seen ) just apply contact to the trigger Guard and retain the piece by a deep indent into the guard, which results in a loud "click" when drawing/holstering as well as allowing the gun to rock back and forth up to 1/2 ". ( Note : the New Blade -Tech for 1911`s I have seen have started to use this method, which IMHO is a step back )

This Pic shows the different means of belt support. All work, however I prefer Mikes version because it provides a thinner loop allowing firmer belt/holster contact, especially with 1 1/2 " belts.

The old Blade Tech and Mikes A10 keep the Gun very close to the body (if worn behind the Hip) for a belt Holster, Elderton`s straight drop design cants the grips out slightly, which some may prefer over the FBI cant.

Both Mike at Talon and Joe at SKD provide excellent fast service. Less then 2 weeks for the Talon, the Ky-Tech was in stock and just as fast.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blackjack on 2001-06-06 09:37 ]</font>

·
Registered
628 Posts
Mike,

Do you use thinner material for your stuff? It kind of looks like it from the pics. No gripe here, because I think the Blade-Tech stuff is a little bit on the 'thick' side. Would be nice to have something thinner. I look the look of your products BTW :smile:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Blackjack,
Perhaps you have not actually seen the Uncle Mike's Kydex holsters and are referencing them with the FOBUS soft plastic holsters due to the price, or someone's comments. However, the Uncle Mike's Kydex holster that I just bought last week, after hearing people whose opinions I respect rave about them, uses pressure along the frame, AS WELL AS a detent snap into the triggerguard. This is just what you say you admire about the older Blade Tech holsters and it is what my Uncle Mike's Kydex for my Glock uses, also. It also allows you to vary the amount of tension along the frame, by means of adjustable tension screws

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On 2001-06-07 16:50, Oso wrote:
Blackjack,
Perhaps you have not actually seen the Uncle Mike's Kydex holsters and are referencing them with the FOBUS soft plastic holsters due to the price, or someone's comments. However, the Uncle Mike's Kydex holster that I just bought last week, after hearing people whose opinions I respect rave about them, uses pressure along the frame, AS WELL AS a detent snap into the triggerguard. This is just what you say you admire about the older Blade Tech holsters and it is what my Uncle Mike's Kydex for my Glock uses, also. It also allows you to vary the amount of tension along the frame, by means of adjustable tension screws
With all due respect I have owned a New Uncle Mikes for the 1911.

I do not( well try not to anyway ) Post on any subject that I do not have first hand experience of.

The one for the 1911 Did Not put any pressure on the Slide.
Coated the interior of the Holster with Rem Oil, none at all on the Slide.

When tighting down the screws all of the pressure was on the front of the trigger Guard. At full pressure the detent made it virtually impossible to draw the gun with one hand.

The Gun also rocked at least 1/2 " front to back ( because of no full slide contact )

I am not making this up, perhaps I got a bad example, perhaps the version for the Glock works better due to the "fat" slide shape, but that`s the real story for the 1911 one I got.

I am glad you like yours, if they work they are a good value.

Since I respect your opinion I will buy one for the Glock.

Although I cannot see how you can make a fast and/or _quiet_ presentation with the detent system...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blackjack on 2001-06-07 19:11 ]</font>

·
Registered
720 Posts
Fobus vs. Uncle Mike for 1911

Have both, prefer the Fobus.
1. Mounts/unmounts to belt and trousers quickly and easily.
2. Pistol rides lower in Fobus which has more drop. Pistol grip doesn't move outward from body as it does with higher-riding Uncle Mike's. Uncle Mike's requires a stiff gunbelt cinched tight. (This is all very personal based on my body and my preferences.)
3. Uncle Mike's is very high quality, more versitile for carry angle, and looks better, but the Fobus works better for me. Like the Fobus paddle Double Mag. Carrier also. :smile:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sidearmor is a great source for kydex holsters. I started with Blade-Tech but switched to Sidearmor. My opinion: better product (thinner, more comfortable, stays put - even when runnning), quick, friendly, efficient customer service.

They have been a provider for Glocks for a long time and are now moving into the 19ll arena.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Mike,

Can you do colored materials, say for instance Woodland Cammo?

I like the A10, looks nice :smile:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.