Pistol Smith Forum banner

Last round fails to feed.

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  one eye joe 
#1 ·
My Warthog feeds fairly well, but the last round in the ten round magazine fails to feed occasionally. Others have said that it's a Para mag spring problem. They have suggested Wolf springs. Can anyone tell me where I can buy a Para Warthog replacement mag with the stronger springs already installed? Is this issue even caused by the mag, or is it the recoil spring/ammo issue? thanks..

#2 ·
I have a Para 16-40 which had that problem.
If you look at the magasine when loaded with more than one round all rounds except the last ones have a higher support when feeding. When the last round comes up the support is lower and different in that the support of the follower is to the left side. It will be better when modifying the follower so that it comes higher up in the magasine. caution must be taken for the slide stop part of the magasine as it must be grinded so that the slide does not stop during normal firing.
Good luck . this solved my last round feed problem.

#3 ·
jan-eric....few years back I bought a new in the box...para limited 16/40....may be the worst pistol I ever saw....a blind dumb monkey could have fit the barrel better....sear was cracked in a new pistol....replaced most every thing but the grips , rear sight , frame and slide.....You can see the writeup by goin to the longe, then.... Wild Bill....I think it was titled 16-40

Wild Bill

#7 ·
Joe , Go to the lounge , then Wild Bill , Scroll down till You find 16 40 Para limited.....first post explains it all....I figured Para put the best parts They had in the 1640 limited to start with so I didn't need anymore of their limited parts....ended up sellin the 1640 to a close friend after I had replaced everything but the slide, frame , rear sight...Right after I built this para Caspian got their Hi Cap runnin, I built one,I shot okay but not as good as I can shoot a single stack so I built a single stack Caspian Frame and slide into a Limited ten pistol...never have time to shoot anymore

Wild Bill

#9 ·
It is interesting reading these messages. The para I have is a 16-40 Todd Jarell signature.
Since my message I have done a lot wih. it. I live i Norway and returning it to Para would be expensive and an extreme papermill to get export and again import lisences. So I had to solve this.

It is right that the barrel fit in the pistol is one of the worst I have seen. That is the barrel headspace lug to the slide and what is the worst. The power extractor protruded so far out that it bumped ito the barrel right side so that it broke.
To fix this I had to mill the right side of the barrel to allow the extractor not to touch the barrel in lockup. When having done that the lockup was good and yoou could hear the typical sound of a pistol going totaly in lockup.
Wheth regard to feeding which was a problem I fluted or shall I say rounded the edges around the chamber opening and polished them.
I modified all the magazines with an opening where the bottom of the round leaves the magazine to 10.4 mm and having taken away all burrs inside the magazines. On the back of the magazine there is a point welding that can inhibit the follower tomove freely. This was grinded down. The follower was grinded on the sides so it entered higher up in the magazines and the slidestop part was grinded so that it did not operate the slide stop before the magazine is empty.
A last thing is that some rounds hooked in the headlugs lower back ridgeand that was rounded slightly and polished.
The new power extractor front tip with the hook was an oversized one and had to be matched. It was polished inside the hook to let the round enter without hooking in burrs.
There was a nipple on the right side of the extractor just behind the hook. This had to be adjusted to get the right tension or grip on the round so that it could hold the round in the slide .
With all this done the para works flawlessly. It feeds good with allrounds from a full magazine and the SPS Magazines works fine too.
But the pistol did not work at all from the box with factory ammo.
The goal was to get it to work with factory ammo.
With reloaded rounds which I make longer there are no problems now as well.
Now I love the pistol.

The topic with the power extractor bumping into the barrel is no way acceptabel for a gun especially a match gun which it was supposed to be.
There is hope for getting a good para with some effort. I don't know the newer ones if they are better

#10 ·
Hey jan-erik, I salute you. Your skills and perseverance were able to turn that Para into a reliable weapon. It always saddens me to read of restrictions imposed on citizens of other countries who are involved in weapons and the shooting sports. It's a reminder that in the USA we must FIERCELY GUARD our right to keep and bear arms. BTW--welcome to the Forum......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.