Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone, I recently ordered a belt, holster, and some mag pouches from one of the well known custom makers and read Dane's post about belts and them staining when the dye bleeds. I currently have a Kramer that is about 7 years old and it is having some cracking going on around where it goes throuh the buckle. What are the methods to help stop this, and what can I do to keep my new one from bleeding. I have seen on of a co-workers and it is dyed on the inside. The Kramer is not dyed on the inside.
Thanks in advance for the advice.

Steve

·
Registered
466 Posts
Steve:

Kramer's rigs are hardened, and he advises not to use oils, etc which will soften them. Still, if the leather is cracking at stress points, you need some treatment. Try Lexol, but don't saturate the area. It will soften the leather to an extent, but not like mink oil or neatsfoot compounds. I also use Lexol on new leather, to loosen and clean up any excess dye. Even though the makers do this very well, some may still leach to the surface after their final polish and buff. I usually go over the entire surface, let it dry, and then clean it up with the shooters' most valuable tool - and old T-shirt. If I get too much color on the cloth, I'll do a second coat. When clean, I use Kiwi Neutral to seal it off - a couple of coats, let dry completely (an hour) and then buff down and repeat.
Touch-ups are finished off the same way. Use a good dye from one of the Milwaukee dye houses (Kelly's or Fiebing's), and the Lexol-Kiwi bit. I have some years-old Kramer rigs, Gallaghgers, and new Alessi's that have never marked my khakis when finished as above.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Walosi, thanks for the advice, I have seen some post's about the dye bleeding and want to avoid it. I just left a U/C assignment at work and order a nice rig in order to use it at work. I have a buddy at work that ordered a belt, holster and mag pouch from the same well known custom maker and he gets some dye stains on his shorts from them. I would never have even thought about this until I saw his and read about it here. I am now working in an assignment where I wear in the open (non-uniform) and wanted to wear the rig, but don't want any dye bleed on my jeans and polo shirts. Thanks for the advice and I will let you know how it goes.

Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.