Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amazing to me, this is a subject that not receive any attention before. Wich kinf of holsters do you preffer more: the kydex's ones or the leather's ones. If you read the post in this forum, it seems that many here prefer a good leather holster. But besides the nice smell of the leather, and the beauty of certain leather holsters, do you really believe that they are better in their function than the kydex holsters. I have to confess that mi first real holster (that is because in mi country i bought a lot of leather holsters, really poor in design but rich in price), was a Blade Tech IWB holster. From that moment, i bought many others Blade Tech holsters, that serve me very well. Also i have the Fist kydex holsters.But i also have leather holsters from really good holstermakers, as Sparks and Rusty Sherrick, and now i tend myself to them. The kydex tend to be, only in my experience, faster in the draw, but poor in concealment, at least in the OWB type. Also, it offer a level of performance for the money, that the leather holster can't equal. Take the Fobus holsters or the new Uncle Mike for this.
Well, base in the last years, the kydex came to stay -i know that Rogers, i don't remember his name, played with kydex in the seventees-, but what do think about. I undestand that in the tactical area, the kydex, an even the nylon, replaces the leather a long time ago, but can the same happen with leather for concealment holsters?
What do you think about?

·
Registered
515 Posts
That was Bill Rogers who did some of the early pioneering in plastic holsters (and the followers in the Wilson magazines). The WHM "Snick" was another 1970's-era kydex holster. Mike Harries, inventor of the flashlight technique which bears his name, was one of the WHM principals.

As to whether kydex and similar materials will eventually squeeze out leather; I think they will for "public service" rigs, which are bought on bid, and economy-priced "gun-pouches" for bubba's to pack their blasters afield. That said, I think there will be a market for well-designed and executed leather holsters as long as we have sidearms.

Rosco

·
Registered
581 Posts
I prefer Kydex now days. Leather may look nice, but it is thick and heavy.

Tom
AF Shoting Team

·
Registered
580 Posts
Much rather have Leather so long as it is from the "Good Guys" EXCEPT when it's hot & muggy or {sometimes} for IDPA, etc.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Though I can sympathize with the traditionalist's preference for leather, I much prefer Kydex, specifically those made by Blade Tech and Ky-Tac. No break in needed, easier release (IMO), immune to water, blood, etc, and lower cost. I own a Sparks CC-AT and some older Gordon Davis stuff and, although I like to looks of a well worn leather rig, I keep coming back to Kydex for functional reasons. Perhaps I just haven't found the right leather holster yet.
Bill Go

·
Registered
169 Posts
On 2001-05-15 00:44, Hoser wrote:
Are IWB leather holsters more comfortable than Kydex? It seems like they would be.
Hoser,

I would have thought the same as you, but for my build the kydex proved to be more comfortable. I'm a leather and kydex kind of guy, I guess. I prefer leather, especially the smell of Lou's stuff (have a CQC/S that I sniff often when not wearing :smile: ), but kydex has its place. For me, that IWB carry, and most of my outdoor range work. That's usually in a very dirty, gritty environment, and I feel it's much easier to wipe any dirt out of kydex, rather than worry about imbedding it in leather.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts