Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have friend who is considering a Sig 239 for CCW / personal defense, but, he is a lefty. I'm not too familiar with Sig. How do they work with lefties? He has shot / is familar with / likes / the 1911 and would be his 1st choice but I suggested he consider the Sig. (due to budget, etc...) thanks...

·
Registered
580 Posts
Have had @ least six Sigs and am LH. The mag release is generally able to be moved to the r. side but have never bothered as habituated to using trigger finger pad or 1st knuckle.
The decocker lever is easily reached from under the pistol with fore- or mid finger of
r. hand. In my experience and opinion Sig is a very LH friendly gun!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am a leftie. I have a couple of Sigs and shoot them fine. I have never been into switching the mag release around, so the stock mag release works fine with me just using a finger. The decock is a little harder and requires I shift the grip or use the other hand. As these Sigs don't have a manual safety disengage, that is not an issue.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've got 3 Sigs and I too am lefty... These, out of all my pistols are the easiest to operate. I carry a 229 in .40 or a 245 while at my 2nd home in VT.
As for changing the Mag release.... I've found that it is easier for me to leave it in it's original config... Many years of shootin' a 1911a1 taught me to use the index finger....
Good luck, hope this helps rather than being just another longwinded blowhard.:cool:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: m14nut on 2002-01-21 16:00 ]</font>

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've carried both a P229 and a SP2340 and I'm right handed, but when I shoot left handed whether it be practice or qualifying, I always manipulate all the functions with my left hand and haven't had any problems with it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Operating the mag release with the trigger finger has some real advantages. You must remove it from the trigger guard thus negating the posibility of an AD. Often times this can be done w/out shifting the grip.
As for the slide stop/release, SIG calls it a slide arrestor. They actually advocate the "Sling Shot" method of releasing the slide once a fresh mag is inserted.
The de-cocker? You don't want to decock in the middle of a gun fight anyway. You can de-cock once the dust settles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I Shoot Sigs *Because* I'm Left-Handed

I have three of them (220, 229, 239), and I shoot IDPA and a lot of similar COF's. I've tried Berettas, a Kimber, and HK's, and the only guns I want to shoot are Sigs. I like the layout of the controls, the fact that there's no safety to mess with yet the gun is still safe with the hammer down, the accuracy, reliability, and durability. Plus, I like the way they look. The controls are all second-nature to me now, and I've sold all but the last Beretta (anybody in the market for a 99.8% 92FS Stainless? :-? ), so I'm Sig-specific from here on out.

Specialized

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.