Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me with absolute certainty the letter of the law on this? I have the opportunity to purchase 2 unmarked 13rd usp9c hi-caps at a very nice price, and want to find out if I can use them legally. I know the USP Compact wasn't in the US until post-ban, but perhaps there are some unmarked mags from Europe that are pre-ban? Any light that anyone can shed on the subject would help. Thanks.

G

·
I have personal experience with this issue and can honestly understand how difficult it is to say with certainty.
The obvious upside is that you get to have some good mags in what could be "grey" or could make you a felon.

In early 2000 I purchased a USP 40 Expert from HK through a German exporter at the time HK Sterling confirmed in writting that the clear mags supplied with the gun were in fact marked and were considered post-ban.

In July of this year I purchased a USP Expert 9mm import and US Customs considered the mags as pre-ban and not subject to regulation in writing.

Several months back I contacted HK and the customer service representative responded in writing that all USPc magazines with a greater than 10rd capacity are post-ban.

But if you do further research it is easy to see that HK did in fact supply high cap USPc mags for testing purposes prior to the crime bills passage.

I believe that the only way to get an absolute answer that will protect you will be to contact US Customs prior to importing the mags or ask for an ATF ruling.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ATF will tell you, assuming that you get an agent w/ some smarts, that there is an exemption under title 18 as to postban mags. Ask about what constitutes the "magazine" and the "no new high cap magazine created" issue.

tony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.