Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customized Series 70 Colt 1911 GM. It is a great pistol, very reliable. It has a very sharp set of Bomar adjustable sights on it that I would like to trade out for some Heinie low mount Straight Eights. The front sight has a dovetail that runs with the slide instead of across it. Has anyone heard of this before? Can I get other sights to fit this pistol? Failing that, can I have the front sight drilled and a tritium capsule installed and the front sight dressed down a little and a Straight Eight rear sight installed?

Thanks for the help,
Bill

·
Registered
515 Posts
Alot will depend on how that Bomar rear is mounted. If it is just drifted into the slides existing dovetail, then it may simply be drifted out and the slide machined for the Heinies. If it is a low-mount installation, wherein the slide is machined to accept the sight itself, then things could be complicated.

Heinie is offering a SlantPro rear that retrofits slides machined for the Kimber adjustable. Reportedly, it can be modified to replace low-mount Bomars too. However, the manner in which various gunsmiths install Bomars differs enough that it may or may not work out. It might be best to let Heinie have a look at the slide.

I've seen the "longways dovetail" front sight installations. The blanks used were intended for mounting on compensators. I think Clark and possibly Brown offered them. The ones I've seen had a set-screw behind the front blade. I don't care for the looks of them, but if properly installed they ought to be serviceable. The blade could certainly be dressed down and shaped as you wish. The blade could then be sent to IWI or Tooltech and have a tritum capsule installed.

Another alternative would be to talk with George Smith of EGW. He is an artist at welding and likely could weld up the dovetail and recut it as you prefer. He might even be able to weld up a rear Bomar low-mount cut, but that would be pretty involved. It wouldn't hurt to ask him. He is a very nice guy.

Last, but not least, sometimes one is better off to just buy a new slide.

Rosco

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rosco,
A fount of knowledge! After reading your post, I looked the slide over a little closer(hard to believe I carried this thing without noticing this, oh well, it does shoot) and it is ground down under the rear sight. I would say that to replace the sights I would have to have a new slide. So much for that idea. I think I will attack the sights with a file and get rid of some of the sharp edges. You could use that front sight as a can opener!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BillD on 2001-10-06 15:50 ]</font>

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have contact info for IWI or Tooltech? I can't seem to find them under those names. Thanks, Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.