Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been written about before, but I can't find the posts.
I've fired 317 rounds through a new Premier II with the 1.5" accuracy work. The first couple of hundred rounds fired quite reliably. The rest frequently jammed. Specifically, the slide does not go fully forward and it's difficult to eject the round. It's gotten so this happens once or twice with each magazine.

I cleaned the gun after firing 200 rounds. This still happens.

The shok buff is not noticeably worn.

I'm thinking of replacing the recoil spring with a Wilson heavy duty 18 pound spring and removing the shok buff. Les Baer recommends using the shok buff if I'm going to be shooting a lot of hardball. I will be. I do a lot of target shooting. But, they also said that it would not harm the gun if I didn't use it and they don't recommend using a shok buff if the gun will be used for carry.

What are your recommendations? At this point, I don't think a trip back to LB is required, but I'd like to get this corrected.

Dennis D. Carter

·
Registered
403 Posts
The gun isnt broken in enough yet. Shoot at least 1000 befor you start to tinker with it. That 1.5" guarantee makes for a very tight gun.

My stinger (3" guarantee) required 1000 before things settled. Now I can cycle the slide by hand with no major effort, but it still locks up tight.

I dont know if adding a heavier recoil spring will make much difference. Let the gun break in more, your not even close to having a problem yet. Your experience mimics many others who have the tight guns.

One thing worth doing right now is to make sure you dont have any unusual wear markings, like galling. Once you have made sure of that, fire away, amd use a very good lube.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Zahn on 2001-10-28 15:10 ]</font>

·
Registered
54 Posts
i've had 3 baer guns so far and upon taking receipt of each i immediately field stripped, THOROUGHLY cleaned and then lubed with ultima-lube grease & oil. as they come, they're dirty from the test firing and very oily. i don't like oil flying all over my glasses when i'm shooting, so i prefer grease-- i can really lube it up and it stays in one place and doesn't get all over me.

using this method, my initial outings (and all subsequent ones) with my baers have been hassle free.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I discovered the source of the problem and I'm embarrassed to say that the cause was the penny-pinching antics of the shooter, NOT the gun.
The reloads causing the problem were Winchester cases I'd reloaded at least a half dozen times and some of which I'd picked up at the range. The case rim on some of this brass, particularly stuff I've picked up at the range, was very ragged, making extracting the cartridges difficult.

With new case Winchester loads and reloads using IMI and Starline brass I've bought, there was no problem.

On occasion, the slide still fails to go all the way forward, but a slight nudge with my thumb and I'm ready to go. And, extracting proper cases is a piece of cake. I only have about 400 rounds through the gun, so I don't anticipate any problems once it's properly broken in.

Is this gun accurate? You bet. My thanks to Les Baer for a fine gun and to you for your advice.

Dennis D. Carter

·
Registered
283 Posts
If your reloads' powder charge is a light one, try loading a few with a one-tenth (1/10) grain charge increase. (Be sure not to exceed published maximum powder charges and check the cases from your gun for signs of overpressure.) These guns are meant to function with full-power ammo.

·
Registered
580 Posts
On 2001-11-03 21:18, Dennis D. Carter wrote:
On occasion, the slide still fails to go all the way forward, but a slight nudge with my thumb and I'm ready to go. And, extracting proper cases is a piece of cake. I only have about 400 rounds through the gun, so I don't anticipate any problems once it's properly broken in.

Is this gun accurate? You bet. My thanks to Les Baer for a fine gun and to you for your advice.

Dennis D. Carter
Have a PII 1.5" that acted somewhat similarly during break-in.
If you call, Les will give you an appropriate "Break-in" Load & advise how many rounds to run before going to a "practice" load, etc.
Failrly certain he is a 231 "fan".

·
Registered
2 Posts
I Have owned a Premier II 1.5 " gun for several years and even when new I have not had a failure that could not be attrubted to reloaded ammo or faulty magazines. The gun was Tight when new and after 14 to 15 thousand rounds is still tight and silky smooth.
Now to the ammo problem, my P II will feed some of the most ragged head ammo you have every seen, stuff I've been reloading for 20
years, you can't even tell there was a case head stamp. If there were a problem with the case head it probably would not slip up under the extracter as your slide goes into
battery which would cause a bullet nose into the top of chamber failure to feed. If you
haven't already done this, get a case guage
for loaded rounds and check your reloaded
rounds before loading into magazines. It really sounds like the final crimp on the
case mouth is at fault. At least that has
been my experience with the failure you have described.

Take Care,
Greg

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Greg,
I don't know what caused the problem. All I know is that every bullet I had trouble extracting was a Winchester case with a chewed up rim. It may be that I just need to shoot the gun more. I fired another 150 rounds through it today and it was fine, aside from a couple of times the slide didn't move fully forward. A slight push with my thumb and it was fine.

I've shot 230 graind Hydra Shoks and SXT's, 185 grain Silvertips, and 230 grain Winchester target loads with no problems. The reloads I'm shooting are:
185 grain Remington MC
5.6 grains of Bullseye
1.245 OAL
.470 crimp

I use these in 3 Wilsons and an Ed Brown in addition to the LB. My favorite is the 200 grain Hornady, but the Remington's are actually pretty good.

I honestly think (and as many advised), I just need to shoot the gun more. It is loosening up a bit. I'm very pleased with the accuracy and just need to get it broken in.
Dennis D. Carter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.