Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
While I do "feel your pain" for those of you not completely satisfied with Les Baer quality or customer service, I feel it only fair to share my experience with this company and its products.

After acquiring a new SRP 1911 Governement model, and firing 1000 or so break in rounds,I ransom rest tested it at 50 yards. With several types of ammo, commercial and handloads, my average groups were in the 2" range. I then proceded to fire over 37,000 rounds throught the gun WITHOUT a single malfunction of any kind. Somewhere after the 37,000 round, but before the 38,000 (I know because I reload) as I was lowering the thumb safety, the hammer fell to half-cock. Knowing that this meant sending the gun back to Les, I carefully ransom rest tested the gun again, in case accuracy had deteriorated without my knowing and barrel/bushing work was in order. Guess what? I got the same 2" groups as when the gun was new.
Off the gun went to Les, with a request for correction of the falling hammer problem, and my request for a beveling of the leading edge of the ejection port and inner trigger guard, as these edges were pulling leather from my Mitch Rosen ARG. I also requested checkering under the trigger guard as I find I have a tendency to slightly pull my pistol to the left (I'm right hand strong side) and I thought this would help.
I expected to pay for the chamfering of the edges, the checkering, and the refinishing of the entire pistol.
Les sent my pistol back to me 3 weeks later with all the changes I had requested, completely refinished, new trigger/safety lockwork components, and a newly fitted barrel and bushing (which I had not requested) and he charged me the sum of...
$65.00
Yes, only $65.00, and that was listed as the charge for just the checkering.
The gun has functioned flawlessly for the last 16,000 rounds since its return.
Based upon this 1 experience, thought it may not be statistically significant, I have nothing but praise for the quality of both Les Baer Pistols, and Les Baer Customer Service.
Gonzo

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greetings,

Peter, this incident occurred about 3 years ago. I hope Les' quality & service has not faultered in the intervening period, though I could not say as I have not had any contact with him since...

Gonzo

· Registered
15 Posts
I have purchased (3) Les Baer pistols in the last year. My experiences have been mostly good. The first was a Thunder Ranch Special. The only problem was the tight set screw locking the rear sight. I needed to adjust the point of impact 1-1/2 inch to the left. The hex wrench, a sharp new one, slipped in the socket. I called Les and told him of my request. He said the screw was tight because of the importance of maintaining the position of the rear sight to maintain the point of impact. I understood him to mean that he used Loctite to do this. I returned the pistol along with a note also stating that the ejection port was scuffing my holster. Les corrected the point of impact problem exactly, dehorned the eject port, reblued the slide and returned the TRS at no charge. Excellent!

The second pistol is a Premier II, LW2. The forward end of the dust cover was never deburred even though I had reqested the Tactical Package. That really did a number to the holster. I recently called Mitch to order a replacement. ($250) Nuts. I wished I had thoroughly inspected the pistol before using it. Yet I believe that shouldn't be my task but that of Les Baer Custom.

The third is a Stinger LW. While testing it it began to stop short of fully chambering. Fired only (50) rounds and stopped. When I disassembled it for cleaning I found the slide was extremely tight on the frame. Called Les and he told me the aluminum framed guns sometimes "grow" initially. They fire (50) rounds through each aluminum frame gun for the purpose of determining if this problem exists in the particular pistol. This usually does the trick. I suspect that the frame movment is caused by residual machining stress. Anyway, Les asked me to return it for refitting of the slide. It came back and functions perfectly now. I do not fault Les for the problem as he does take the precaution to fire (50) rounds, which has proven to do the job in almost all cases, indetermining if there is this problem. Also, when I called Angie at LBC to ask when it would be returned, she told me the following Monday or Tuesday. I called Monday to confirm shipping so I would know when to watch for it on our shipping dock. She apologized that it wouldn't be shipped that day. I knew she had been following the work on the pistol because she responded immediately. I reminded her that her promise was for Monday OR Tuesday and thanked her for the fine service. She's a neat lady.

I apologize for the lengthy letter, but feel that even though I was disappointed with some of the sevice, Les Baer Custom does make good on their products. (I wish Hewlett Packard's service was as good.) I cetainly do like Les's pistols and wish I could justify another. Maybe later.....

Marty U.

· Registered
10 Posts
Marty,

I appreciate you taking the time to post your experiences with Les Baer pistols. After reading your post, and one from SF on another thread today, I must say that I feel very comfortable going forth with my purchase of a TRS -- yes Allan, patience, patience...!!! When I get this pistol I'll make sure to get some good pictures with my digital camera for the forum.

Thanks to all for the input across the 1911 Semi-Custom Guns sub-forum. I have learned a lot in just the few short weeks I've been lurking around reading posts. This is really an excellent place to share top-notch info.

Regards,

B-Squared

· Registered
141 Posts
On 2001-08-11 21:14, Gonzo308 wrote:
Does anyone know If Les will warranty a piece If I'm not the original owner? and No, before you ask, we aint the same person
Regretably Mr. Baer does not have a written
warranty policy (probably on the advise of a lawyer :grin: ). I'd suggest that you email them and find out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.