Pistol Smith Forum banner

Let's attempt this again

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  j.w. kerens 
If you are going to use it for CCW, a Commander size will probably be alot easier to deal with. I'm not sure an aluminum frame would be wise for 9x23, but Dane does make lightweight packages that reduce the weight of steel-framed guns. I'd say go with stainless for minimum hassles and good resistance to rust.

Dane likes Bar-Sto barrels. Actually, ALOT of people like Bar-Sto barrels. I had a Sig P228 with a Bar-Sto barrel and it was very accurate. Dane put one in my Delta Elite that I should get back today. Kart barrels are supposed to be excellent too & there are certainly other good choices out there.

I've used lots of sights & think either Novaks or Heinie Slant-Pro are the best; I have one of each and can't decide which one I like better.

Videcki aluminum triggers seem to be pretty much the consenus choice, though there are probably some other good ones too. Dane added one to my Delta Elite so hopefully I'll get to play with it today.

As far as building from the ground up vs working on a complete Colt, SA or Kimber... if you want the absolute best performance having one built from the ground up from oversized parts (e.g. Caspian) is probalby the way to go, but I'm not sure how MUCH you gain from going that way. Dane favors SA and Kimber, but I have an irrational affinity for Colts. If it is being worked over by a good gunsmith it probably is more a matter of personal taste than anything else as long as you aren't sending in the proverbial Charles Daly or something. :oops:

Getting back to asthetics, this is very silly and irrational but I am a sucker for good-looking rollmarks. To my mind, if you are spending over $1,000 you might as well get EXACTLY what gives you the jollies. In order of preference:

Any old Colt with small lettering and the horse on it
Colt Delta Eite
Colt XS/XSE
Colt MK IV Series 80
Kimber's fruity "Kimber" logo
SA's logo on the wrong side of the gun
The "Huge-letter" Series 70
Anything that isn't a 1991A1 :razz:

Since it's a CCW piece you'll at least want it dehorned, or maybe given the out-and-out meltdown treatment. Serrations, scallops or "the wave" are probably better than checkering for this use. You'll want trimmed (or to use the more odious term, "tactical") extended thumb safties so they don't snag on stuff or poke you unnecessarily. The Wilson Combat extended tactical thumb safety seems like the "just right" size for me. YMMV.

As far as beavertials, there are plenty to choose from but Dane has posted some pictures of "minimalist" beavertails that aren't as pretty IMHO but are probably more practical for CCW. For CCW you might also want to consider having Ed Brown give it the "Bobtail" treatment to round off the butt of the gun. Speaking of Ed Brown, many gunsmiths seem to like alot of Ed Brown parts (e.g. thumb safties and beavertails) in general.

Here's a thought: a BCP Grey Ghost commander-sized in 9x23... *drool*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CastleBravo on 2001-07-13 11:49 ]</font>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.