Pistol Smith Forum banner

Let's attempt this again

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  j.w. kerens 
#1 ·
Okay, last time I asked for what I should get on a custom pistol, I got an in depth discussion of match grade barrels versus a lot of training.

With that said, what would you all recommend (without debating the effectiveness of a head shot from a 221 fireball at 950yds with a 12 mph crossind :grin:) as parts to get on a custom pistol.

It'll be in 9x23 & .38 S fitted barrel, wear night sites, have an extended/beavertail/upswept grip safety, extended thumb safety, hard chromed frame and (blank).

What else should the pistol have? Fill in the blank(s), please!

As I said before, it'll be a defensive pistol (ccw) and a range fun gun blaster.

Don't make me get a 50bmg instead!

Derek

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: viesczy on 2001-07-12 18:32 ]</font>

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Now we are talking, and not about headshots at BG with 43lbs of reloads on us as if we are Bruce Willis in Last Man Standing! :grin:

In 9x23, I can pick up a NIB Colt at an out of the way shop or should I go with a SA 9mm/.38 S for a conversion or should it be pieced together deal? What is the "better" way to go? I really ain't gonna be competing with it, but I don't want a tricked out Charles Daly either.

Now as for 'smith, it goes without saying that Dane's the man for 9x23.

From every gunrag, to the BBS, to my buddy of buddies Doug Miles; Dane is a MASTER at the 9x23 and schnazzing up 1911s. My buddy Doug (who's in Dane's area) said this "Dane's a true artist" and "If I ever decide to have a tricked out 1911, Dane's the ONLY one I'd consider" (or something very close to that). That's HIGH praise in my mind, Doug is a virtual encyclopedia of gun history and appreciation of pistol artistry.

The only other place that I'm familiar with and actually close to is EGW. I could get there in 40 minutes in fact! I know their quality work in pistols, but how are they with 9x23?

The one advantage to EGW is I could drop the pistol off (should I buy the Colt/SA) and take my Para P12/13 to have that crappy finish on the frame taken care of with some hard chrome (or duct tape or something! that's the only complaint I have about my Paras).

That's a SWEET set of 1911s there. I love those grips on the one by Dane! A great looking pistol with the perfect set of grips.

If I needed a Luke Skywalker phaser blaster, that EGW looks to be the one to get!

I'd like to thank everyone for their time, patience, insight, humor and advice (my secret accomplices that is! :grin:).

Derek

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.