Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many times can brass be reloaded for the standard pressure .45 acp? My Lyman manual mentioned 8 times as the maximum, but I have brass that has been reloaded over 20 times.
I have not spotted any signs of case separation or loose primer pockets.

Thanks

·
Registered
579 Posts
It depends on the power level for the brass and the quality of that brass.

Take a piece of wire and bent a small 90 degree angle on the end of it after sharpening it to a point on a grinder. Insert this into the case in question to the case web and then drag toward the case mouth. If the brass is starting to seperate you will feel it. For example Winchester .22 Hornet cases will fail int one or two reloadings with normal pressure loads in my TC barrel.

I hope this helps ...... Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Of all of the loads I shoot, the 45 is the most forgiving. I've gotten over 20 reloads from my brass in many cases. As long as the cases aren't split, or the primers don't fall out, load'm up. That's as long as your not loading them to 190 power factor.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I to use my brass for a considerable length of time. Inspection by just culling out what appears to be problem brass helps to keep reloaded brass safe. Sometimes the brass rim takes on an uneven look and if bad enough I will throw them away in the junk coffee can!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the replies and the tip about using the wire to inspect brass cases.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can you have a case head seperation on a .45 acp? Going on 12 to 15 reloads on some of my brass and it is all about the same age. I've had only three or four split cases. I usually find them when I pick them up, I'll kinda' shake'em in my hand and a split case will sound different. markmcj

Hey that's my first post!!!!!!:)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mark McJ on 2001-08-26 23:38 ]</font>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.