Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I bought an SA Champion recently. The first 50 rounds with the factory mags were perfect. Now I get Failures to Feed on the second to last and sometimes last round of the mag. I get about 2 or 3 of these every 50 rounds. I tried shooting UMC, blazer, speer lawman winclean and Fed America Eagle ammo.
UMC is the worst. The round in the mag will nose dive and not come up, the slide begins to move foward but jams up on the rear end of the cartridge. Heres a break down of the rounds and when the FTF occured.
100 rounds of UMC first 2 FTFs.
50 rounds of Fed American eagle No FTFs
50 rounds of WinClean 3 FTFs last round in the mag.
50 rounds of Blazer 1 FTF.
50 rounds UMC 3 FTF
50 round Speer Lawman 1 FTF.
Do I need to just shoot it more and get in broken in? Or is it something.
I know buy Wilson Mags, but the first 50 rounds were perfect with the Factory mags. I love this gun and want to carry but I dont trust it yet.
Oddly enough I also fired 20 rounds of Hyrdashoks and 20 rounds of Gold Dots and they functioned fine.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Didin't we discuss the extractor?
Maybe I'm lost...wouldn't be anything new, just the first time TODAY!

:eek:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gyp_c,
Yes we discussed extractor on the "other" board. I was just trying to spread the question around the web to see what kind of suggestions I got. I am taking to CHamp to smith this afternoon so he can give it a once other.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like its the mags. I used one Wilson mag never a failure. Swithced factory Jammed. Back to Wilson worked like a champ.
I keep shooting with the Wilson and see what happens. I carrying my Sig or Mustang until work out the Champion to 100% relible.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Your not giving me enough information. Are you using weakened magazine springs to hold an extra round. Let me start off from the beginning. Do you have the correct barrel / frame gap installed? the factories often do it wrong. A weak magazine spring will cause the bullet to take a nose dive. So will a poorly fit extractor because as the slide is moving forward the extractor must accept the rim properly for the bullet to feed properly. Never use mazazines that cheat on spring power to be able to accommodate an additional round. It would be a good idea to install a pachmayr follower. I think metal form magazines are best. The smaller the 45 pistol the more problems you may have because you lack the slide weight of the government model.

Teddy Jacobson / pistolsmith
http://www.actionsbyt.com
281 277 4008
[email protected]

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok Now I ready to say some cuss words. The Wilson mags fixed the FTF problems but I had 3 Failures to extract in 200 rounds.
I only used UMC ammo. I checked the tension and it seemed ok, Buy I no expert. I think I just have a crappy extractor and need to put a new one in. I dont know which one to get. I am thinking about a Wilson Bulletproof.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mattk

No disrespect, but A $150 + spent with a good smith like Teddy who can do a fast turnaround is better then $50+ worth of parts that you don`t know how to fit...just IMHO of course.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blackjack on 2001-06-07 11:25 ]</font>

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No offense taken. I am going to have the local smith due a reliblity job on it. By all accounts he does first rate work. I just want to be ready when he ask what parts I want to use, if any need to be replaced.

Thanks

·
Registered
408 Posts
MATTK, before you take your pistol to a local smith for a reliability job REMEMBER THIS: that is the single most important option you will ever have a 'smith do. In my opinion this is the thing that you should have who ever in your opinion is THE BEST at do it. I know, most of you are gonna say, well all ya do is ramp/throat/polish breech face etc... But to me a good smith checks everything out well, every part is checked for fit/function etc... Something to think about. IF your gonna skimp on ANYTHING dont skimp on your reliability work.

And dont just take some local can shooters word about a "good" local smith. This will likely cost you dollars and time in the long run.

Another factor is this, most of the real good smiths arent gonna ask you "what kind of extractor/ejector etc.. you want" they are gonna give you/tell you what is the best in there experience.

Dont take offense, just trying to save you head ache and heart ache.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RMLamey on 2001-06-07 20:05 ]</font>

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RM,
No offense taken at all. The local guy is a very good smith.
He is currently building race guns and a prize gun for the Florida Single Stack Classic. Like I said I just want to be armed with all the right info before I go asking for work to done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.