Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone on a regular basis keep a long gun in your vehicle?

I am considering keeping a long gun in my truck on a regular basis. The dilema seems to be that my vehicle has a much better chance of being stolen or broken into rather than needing the rifle for self-defense.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have no idea what your locals laws are but Georgia has some weird ones regarding long guns. They must be displayed in clear view on a rack. A loaded rifle, in the trunk, is considered a violation. I do question the need to take a rifle with you as it seems the odds of actually needing to deploy a rifle in a self-defense situation are limited. There's no doubt that you would rather have a rifle than a pistol in a gunfight but under what conditions would the average individual use it? I'm not being contentious here as I'm always open to learning so I'd love to hear why the forum members think having a rifle in the car would be a good thing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I usually keep a rem 700 varmint in 308 or 223 in the truck because I don't ever know when I might see a coyote. I have it most of the year only taking it out when the kids will be riding w/me instead of momma. JS

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't have one but, one of the Marlin Trapper lever action rifles in .44 mag would make a nice , short, inconspicuous long gun. It holds 9 rounds I think with a 16 inch barrel and wont look as bad as an AR-15 or AK-47.

If that doesn't float your boat, you can't beat the all around utility of a nice shotgun. Both guns can be hunting tools or turned to if the critters are of the two legged kind.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have a .45-70 Marlin Guide Gun loaded with Garrett +P ammo, that sometimes sees trunk duty. Lever guns are PC and rarely raise an eyebrow. They are also cheap enough not to worry too much about theft. Never know when you are going to be attacked by hordes of marauding automobiles. :grin:

DD

·
Registered
56 Posts
A Marlin Guide in .45-70 w/ +P loads? My dad uses one of those for whitetail hunting up in Minnesota. He doesn't have the +P loads, but I would love to find some for him. That is the sweetest little gun I have ever shot. With the ported barrel it doesn't kick much (at least compared to my .300 Win Mag!). It was the first rifle that I have ever seen kill a deer, then proceed to butcher it and wrap it up in freezer paper before you even get to the carcass. Just don't miss, or you will have to break out the climbing gear and suspension bridge to get across the crater. Nice gun!

·
Registered
934 Posts
On 2001-05-11 04:25, Desert Dog wrote:
I have a .45-70 Marlin Guide Gun loaded with Garrett +P ammo, that sometimes sees trunk duty.
DD
Geez DD. Did you lose that compact carry Howitzer? BTW how do you like your guide gun?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I carry a Garand under the rear seat in my pickup. You never know.

·
Registered
503 Posts
On 2001-05-10 02:08, JM wrote:
Does anyone on a regular basis keep a long gun in your vehicle?

I am considering keeping a long gun in my truck on a regular basis. The dilema seems to be that my vehicle has a much better chance of being stolen or broken into rather than needing the rifle for self-defense.

What are your thoughts?
You have summed up the problem very well. I would think it depends on one's personal circumstances. I don't like to leave a long gun in the vehicle when it is to be left unattended in a city. I live in a rural area and my vehicle is parked in a fairly secure location when I am away from it so I usulally have one locked in my private vehicle since I might get a call at any time which may require the use of it (like a school shooting or barricated subject - I don't work regular uniform duty these days but I am on call).

While we all know that long guns are much more effective than handguns it is probably a bit of "Walter Mityism" to think we might actually get to use it in normal self defense.

Good question!

Cordially,
Jim Higginbotham

·
Registered
25 Posts
I can give a little perspective on both sides. While an active LEO, my dept vehicle was stolen from my residence. In the trunk was a Rem 870, AR-15, and a pistol under the seat. YES, the vehicle was locked and sitting in my yard. The handgun was used in a murder in an adjacent state. Luckily, the doper who stole my vehicle didn't find the long guns in the trunk.
I am now a reserve deputy sheriff, and assist with firearms training for the deputies and SRT team. I am also on the "on-call" list to respond with the SRT team. I am in the process of preparing a Rem 870 for my vehicle gun. As Jim said, the 870 would be primarily for "special occasions".
Also, in response to one post...I'm not familiar with any Ga. Code that says you can't carry a loaded rifle in the trunk. I never came across that code, or heard of it during my time as an LEO.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would like to carry a shotgun with me but of course we cannot to the best of my knowledge. It would be useful for those longer drives to the desert places or say driving to Las Vegas. It took only one event in hollywood for the bad guys shooting automatic weapons for every cop in the state to be armed with like weapons so it seems to me we should be able to help protect our lives as we see fit.

G

·
Also, in response to one post...I'm not familiar with any Ga. Code that says you can't carry a loaded rifle in the trunk. I never came across that code, or heard of it during my time as an LEO.
*** CODE SECTION *** 16-11-126.
http://www.ganet.org/cgi-bin/pub/ocode/ ... led_weapon

Generally speaking, firearms are permitted in vehicles in open view, glove box, console, or UNLOADED. Holders of a pistol license may keep a loaded HANDGUN anywhere in the vehicle.

"any person in possession of a valid permit issued pursuant to Code Section 16-11-129 may carry a handgun in any location in a motor vehicle."

The way the law is written, long guns must be in plain sight or "enclosed in a case, unloaded, and separated from its ammunition." Watch that Sidesaddle.

Probably not a big issue, especially if you have a Pistol License, but I would hate to be the test case. Second offense would be a felony charge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts