Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of pistols that won't see much, if any, more shooting but will remain in the safe.

Any advice on how to store these long term to avoid rust or damage? Should I just put them in the silicon-treated socks that I see for sale? Or take off grips and store them oiled with gun oil in a container or baggie of some sort?

FYI, one is matte blue and the other is hard chrome. Thanks.

· Registered
27 Posts
Hoser- There is a man in my town that use to be a USAF pistolsmith way back when. I had bought a new series 70 GM from him that he had stored in a cigar box, disasembled and coated with RIG (available from Brownells) and the gun still looked brand new. He told me that it had been stored for around 15 years. Hope this helps you out.

· Registered
552 Posts
Silencio owns Rig now. See:
http://www.silencio.com/

From Brownells site:

RUST PREVENTIVE

"Easy-To-Apply, Clean, Viscous Grease
Long known and highly respected by shooters. A clean, viscous grease that is easy to apply to your pet gun for absolute rust prevention. Unaffected by long storage.
SPECS: Available in 1 oz., 3.75 oz. jars or 15 oz. cans."

Stock No.
Product Price Qty.
756-010-001 RIG 1 oz. Kit Jar $3.08
756-010-003 RIG 3.75 oz. Jar $5.39
756-010-015 RIG 15 oz. Can $10.12

Copyright 2001 ©, all rights reserved by Brownells Inc.®

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pistolero on 2001-08-05 01:15 ]</font>

· Registered
414 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.