Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have been lurking for some time now, have been too busy to log on. Now that I am getting into my slow season I thought I’d join the fray.
First I would like to thank all the folks who have said nice things about my work it is appreciated. Now a little about myself, I have been pistolsmithing for about 15 years, full time for the last 6. I specialize in 1911’s and S&W revolvers. My favorite gun game is pin shooting. ( Man I miss Second Chance. ) Next would be IDPA. All my pin guns are 10mm and I have been shooting a super for IDPA lately. Now for the bad news, I like Novak sights and 2-pc full length guide rods.
I had better get back to work, just wanted to say hello. I have a few things I would like to share with all of you. I will get some pics together and post them.
Thanks again

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
FWIW. I got to play with one of Scott's guns during a recent class. It was REALLY nice :grin: Enough so that when I get a chance I want one built just for me.

Ken Hackathorn saw him at a recent gun show and was just as impressed as I over Scott's work.

Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey Scott good to hear from you....can you help me with Mike. Everytime he sees my SDM Kimber he wants to either spray it with barbecue paint, file on it or use a rubber hammer.

gs

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello Scott... from you're very favorite customer... glad you decided to come out and play... you know what happens when it's all work and no play... I miss the Tuesday night matches, shooting with all you good fellas... I learned a lot.
And thanks for turning me on to the wonderous mechanics and design of the 1911 AND for patiently teaching me about all the parts... so I could take my gun apart, clean it and get back together again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK OK Here is a Caspian Commander I did recently. The customer brought it back to have the point of impact changed. The frame is one of Caspian’s barstock receivers. (really nice.) Most of you will notice the obvious externals. This one has a Bar-Sto bbl. . Man is it hard taking photos of guns. These pics do not really do it justice.

My only real gripe about the barstock receiver is it has a lot more tool marks than the cast ones. Especially around the trigger guard. A lot of extra work to make them nice. That is Caspian’s front strap checkering.

Hi Matt I’m in Medina, no I havn’t been to Canton Mckinley

·
Registered
129 Posts
On 2001-06-01 15:01, Scott Mulkerin wrote:
My favorite gun game is pin shooting. ( Man I miss Second Chance
Scott,
By "Second Chance", I assume you mean the big bowling pin shoot hosted annually by Richard Davis. Is it defunct? I have not heard anything about it for a while.

Neal

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Neal
Rich Davis had some legal problems after a fireworks accident a couple of years ago.And was in court most of the following summer.This is the third year that there has not been a shoot,It was the most fun I've ever had at a shooting event.I really hope he gets things squared away.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Scott,

Great looking piece of work you have there. Thanks for sharing with us!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Scott, you ought to go visit the Canton-McKinley Regional on July 6th, 7th and 8th. Some of the best shooters in the country will be there along with the gunsmiths for the Marine Corps and Army pistol teams.

And where else can you hear ninety .45s firing rapid fire at the same time? :grin:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Scott, that is one very nice pistol! :cool: Could you tell us more about you likes/dislikes of the barstock frame when you get a moment or two. It looks like a good value from Caspian to me. Keep up the good work! Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The following is based on my observations. It is not intended to be gospel, just my observations and opinions. I don’t like to start a reply with a disclaimer, but the written word can be interpreted many ways.
I hope this answers some of your questions.

I am a big fan of Caspian frames and slides. Dimensionally they are consistent and correct. I have had very few problems with them. Any that I have had , they stand behind it 100 percent! As far as cast and barstock go, that is a tuffy. I stated earlier that I am a pin shooter. My Unlimited auto is a 10mm, my pin load for that gun is a 155 jhp @ 1450fps. That’s a pretty hot load. I have at least 20k rounds through it. My frame to slide fit has started to show some signs of wear. It is a cast frame. I have built lots of guns on them and I am very happy with the results and longevity. The cast frames are cosmetically better. ( with the exception of an occasional pin hole ) The barstock frames are machined from a big chunk of steel. Every surface , hole, contour and radius had a cutter go across it. They do a good job of cleaning them up, but they are not as nice as the cast frame. ( cosmetically ) In fact, I think I remember Gary telling me that the barstock frames come out a couple points lower on the hardness. If it were my gun I would use the cast frame without any hesitation. But If the word “cast” scares you, Then use the barstock. Be prepared to pay your smith a little extra to clean it up .

·
Registered
579 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply Scott. It was the cosmetics, mostly that I was wondering about. I do shoot a cast Parker 10mm every now and then! :lol: It was the information about the locations critical locations of the frame holes, finishing needed that I ment to ask about and you have answered those questions. Thanks Again! Mike

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.