Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sorry you haven't gotten any replies. I personally have no experience with Black T finnish, but I have read lots of good things about it. One reason you may have not gotten a response is because this has been mentioned in other "gun finnish" threads such as the Wilson Amor Tuff thread. I am hoping some others with first hand knowledge will tell about it. I plan to have my CQB redone in Black T this winter.

G

·
I have spent a lot of money and time working on this issue and after review I believe the the three "best" finishes are as follows:
1. Glock Tenifer
2. Hard Chrome
3. Black T by Walter Birdsong

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-06-15 23:07 ]</font>

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the Birdsong Black-T on one of my Commanders and I dont care for it. It has not held up well.

On a more positive note, the inherent lubrication qualites are very much in tact. The gun has never seen a hint of rust even in spots where the finish is completley gone. I suspect the primer coating has something to do with that.

If the finish were a little harder, I think it would be great.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The Black T finish looks great when you get it. It is not particularly durable as far as looks go, but it will do the job as far as rust resistance goes. I had it on two Novak Special P35s of mine. I prefer the Armor Tuff finish, which is available in not only black and green, but silver, as well. My personal preference (as far as aesthetics and corrosion-resistance go) is hard chrome, but Armor Tuff/Baer Coat seems to keep winning me over more and more every day. Regards, Andy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Andy on 2001-06-16 15:53 ]</font>

·
Registered
45 Posts
I concure, the Glock Tenifer finish is very durable. Why isn't Glock's Tenifer available as a refinishing option? Does Glock just not want to license the process or is it due to some technical reason?

Thanks
Howard

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: benzh on 2001-06-18 06:52 ]</font>

·
Registered
285 Posts
Why isn't Glock's Tenifer available as a refinishing option? Does Glock just not want to license the process or is it due to some technical reason?
I've been told that technically, Tenifer is a metal treatment, not a "finish". On a Glock slide, there's a black phosphate (Parkerized) finish over the Tenifer. You can strip a Glock slide down to what appears to be bare metal without removing the Tenifer.

I've also read that the Tenifer process involves cyanide compounds which would cause difficulties with the EPA if used in the United States. Even so, I believe that the "Melonite" finish on the S&W Sigmas is basically the same as Tenifer and they're made in America, so...?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
What about after you get your trigger set-up just so...does it alter it in any way? :sad:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have had a number of Kahr pistols as well as (1) Colt 1911 and (2) Kimbers Black-T coated. I wore some of the Black-T wear off at the muzzle of one Kimber Compact through many repeated presentations. Mr. Birdsong is redoing the slide at this time. I haven't done a real controlled test but have been very well satisfied. The FBI HRT pistols (5000) of them plus (30,000) magazines are being Black-T coated by the request of the FBI. They also use the process on some of their "long" guns. THat says something about their confidence in the finish.

Mr. Birdsong is presently experimenting with a substance to improve the wearing characteristics of Black-T. If it works I expect him to increase his business by a bunch.

It sure makes for a slick frame to slide movement. It doesn't chip as does Teflon-S, from my experience.

Marty U.

·
Registered
239 Posts
gypc_2:
The Black T on my Kimber was not applied to the sear nose or full cock notch, per my request. The other surfaces were coated, and it improved the smoothness of the trigger pull. Further, the fully coated pistol did not need lubrication. Just out of habit, I put a drop on each slide rail, and some points on the barrel, but it wasn't necessary.

I have several pistols, used hard, that sport Black T, and I've seen plenty of other pistols in Black T. The finish is softer than hard chrome, but provides excellent corrosion resistance even when it's worn down. Birdsong's customer service is excellent, and I consider his work and product to be top notch. It's my first choice in firearms finishes.

The FBI SWAT contract pistols from Springfield are all coated with Black T. The Wilson 8 rd mags included with the guns are in the factory stainless finish, not Black T.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have had 2 pistols with BLack T, and 4 with Armor Tuff. I find that the Armor Tuff is a "little" more wear resistant, and that the BLack T is "slicker", requiring less lubrication. But all in all, fairly comparible. The both are bake on "paint" type finishes, and you should not expect them to be as hard and long wearing as Hard Chrome, but they are much more corrosion resistant than chrome. They are also MUCH easier to refinsih than chrome and especially Nickle.

I like both BLack T and Armor Tuff, ...if I had my pick, I would take Armor Tuff.

·
Registered
37 Posts
On 2001-12-03 01:04, quantico wrote:
How much would it cost to have black-T applied to a sig p-220 ????? How much for a 1911?? Even a rough idea????
Check out Richard Heinie's website for pricing on Black-T. I think he offers it as an option. I'm reluctant to mention Walter Birdsong's pricing due to the original purpose of this website, as I understand it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.