Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there an acceptable amount of play on a plunger tube or does it need to be held in place solid? if its a little loose how do you tighten it?
thanks,
shay

· Registered
3,552 Posts
The plunger tube should be rock solid. A good set of grips built to original GI spec will limit its movement and add support to the both legs of the plunger tube that get swaged during instalation.

It takes an armorer's tool set up AFAIK to tighten or replace one correctly. (available from Brownell's)

A loose plunger tube can either be just an annoyance or totally lock up the thumb safety and make the gun unusable.

· Registered
3,552 Posts
Shay, on replacement it takes an educated eye, sorry to be of such little help. I just restaked a Colt and the HOG both of which were loose. But most seem to loose a "leg", Kimber and Springfield..are my most recent experiences. They need replacement. I like the Brown bar stock part when you need one. When in doubt my suggestion is a buy the additional $15 part.

Tool? I use Tom Wilson's tool and not the vise grip one. I like the "feel" of the hand staked tube over the vise grip. But you'll need a vise and a backer to use the tool. Either way a little locktite 271 helps out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-08-02 15:12 ]</font>

· Registered
1,393 Posts
OH CRAP, I didn't read shay's original post close enough - I thought we were talking about the plunger IN THE SLIDE !!!!

How much play is acceptable with the series 80 plunger?

· Registered
893 Posts
On 2001-08-02 15:22, Shay wrote:
[quote:7762wzd3]
On 2001-08-02 15:13, Dane Burns wrote:
Series 80 plunger? What is a series 80 plunger :grin:
Isn't that the part in the slide you're suppose to take out and throw away? :smile:
[/quote:7762wzd3]

See. See why I'd never own a Series 80 Colt. And if I did, I'd get rid of ALL the Series 80 crap.

· Registered
3,552 Posts
Maybe you just DON'T know the answer to this one, huh? :wink:

Hey now, don't be spoiling my image here :grin:

After all YOU wear a moderator's hat :roll:

I never said a thing about how you adjust the "plunger tube" instead of the firing pin lock plunger. But then I was trying to be understanding to my friend who still thinks it's something that is actually needed on a 1911 :grin: No wonder you shoot those HPs!

· Registered
1,393 Posts
Sheeesh.... I can see this thread's goin' down the toilet rapidly! I guess if I read the original post closer, I wouldn't be in this mess.

I guess I'll just take my loose fittin', jitterbuggin', firing pin plungered Para's and bury 'em in the ground behind my house. Never did like those damn 1 1/2" grouping guns with the nice crisp, even 4 pound pull anyways. :wink:

Jeez, it's a good thing that no one wants to REALLY give me the answer to my firing pin plunger question. I sure don't want to end up with an even crisper trigger. :roll:

You guys kill me....!!!!

· Registered
1,393 Posts
Jeez Dane, this is worse than twenty questions! :wink:

IS it a problem to have a loose firing pin plunger? How loose is too loose?

Is there an American :roll: solution to my problem?

· Registered
27 Posts
Can someone tell me the correct way to remove a loose plunger tube? Mine is loose on my stainless commander and want to remove it to polish out some scratches from the thumb safety. I will install a new one with the use of Tom Wilson's tool that Dane spoke of. Thanks for the help.

· Registered
12 Posts
Yes it is a problem.And you can have a pistolsmith fix it in about 2 minutes or buy the plates and a piece of rod to stick inside your plunger tube so the vise does not collapse the tube itself.Then you have to look inside your pistol and you will see two rivets you must find a punch to flatten those rivets but you may have to modify that punch to get the right angle on the rivets as well as not scratch your pistol.I hope this helps but I would rather go to the pistolsmith myself.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.