Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my ultra carry to the range for the first time today midway thru the first mag I had a case seperation, blew the mag out of the gun and the slide came of the rear and hit me in the face.
any ideas on what I should do next

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Get a new barrel fitted and keep on trucking....a blown case seldom wrecks a 1911. Kinda messy though. I blew one last week and have yet to show the pictures or tell that story. You OK?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I'm ok, sorry I didn't post more details guess I was still shook up.
I had a wilson 8rd mag in the gun when the case seperated b;ew the base off and shot the slide off to the rear at my face which my cheek did it's best to catch but I dropped the slide anyway.
the frame left my hand and sailed 20 feet forward of the firing line and some idiot actually yelled at me for not holding on to my gun tight enough. the barrel seems fine but the slide will not go on the gun anymore and the slide appears to have a small crack inside on the corner where the block that the firing pin rides in connects to the slide. also the ejector is covered in brass. the case did not eject and it took some force to open the gun. the tube on the mag seems fine but the follower spring and baseplate are gone. This gun had the factory rubber grips on it and they show no sign of damage at all, in fact my hand only started hurting after I punched the guy who yelled at me.
Like I said it was ugly.
any thought as to weather I should let kimber look at it or send it to a smith.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Harley,

Since I just went through the same thing I will take a look a it for you gratis if yu would like. I suspect Kimber will not be to ameniable to your cause but you never know won't hurt to ask. Glad you are OK. Sounds like the slide is trash but let me see what is still usable. I saved my mag. Had to hammer the gun apart but slide, barrel and frame were fine.
Either way it's no fun. It only cost me a spring and follower and a REAL nice set of African black wood grips...and of course the sand paper, pineapple face...and my wife's scorn plus the TON or so of stress:D

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dane I will be happy to send the gun to you to see what we can save the slide is gone there is a crack all the way under the extractor hole and it is bowed badly. how should I get it to you?
thanks Eric

·
Registered
176 Posts
Wow !! That sounds bad...Glad your pretty much OK..never happened to me.

How can the slide blow back off the Frame unless it shears the rails & dust cover off ?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blackjack on 2001-05-13 00:47 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I wondered the same. I have never seen a 1911 totally destroyed by a dbl charge. This one is something special. I have seen a dozen or so dbl charged guns and 2 or 3 pieces of bad brass let go. Over a dozen blown guns and always workable in a few minutes. This one I would like to see but it sounds like a total loss. I'll post pictures and give a full report of my findings if Eric send the gun. Might even get Kimber to give you a "deal" on a new gun in exchange for the parts so they can take a look too. I'll ask the "MAN" :grin: What do you think Barry?

BTW mine was a bad case I suspect, Kimber frame and new BarSto barrel. It shot great with no grips a few minutes later.

FED EX two day is the way to ship Eric. My shop addrress is:
B.C.P. (Burns Custom Pistols)
700 NW Gilman Blvd #116
Issaquah, WA, 98027

I'll pay the return just to see this mess :grin:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss.Luckily you did'nt suffer any permanent injuries.

I read your post on 1911 forum concerning your Kimbero destructo.
I made a similiar comment as Blackjack concerning the issue of the slide exiting the rear of the frame.
You mentioned that the slide is bowed and cracked.That could explain why the slide came off.It probably stretched out enough it hopped off of one side of the frame,freeing it to fly back at you.

A friend of mine double charged a .45 in a Colt '91 using Bullseye.Probably about 10 grains,bad juju.Fortunately the gun stayed together,even the factory stocks.It did however blow the mag out shearing off the mag catch and detonating the remaining rounds in the mag.The mag was ruined(understatement).

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dane I will send the gun out mon. Do I need a copy of your ffl to send it to you?
I talked to the guy I was shooting with and he said he is sure the slide came off the back. but the guy that got in my face, who apologized this morning says he thinks maybee the gun turned in a circle and the slide came off the front. I'm not so sure about this as there appears to be blood on the rear of the slide.
I was usuing reloads and I pulled the rest of the rounds I had with me they all have the proper amount of powder in them.
I have been reloading for over ten years and this is the first time I ever had a problem, not even a squib. I have the offending case and it blew out just forward of the rim. I will send it to dane for a second opinion.
P.S. before it blew I was shooting at 25 yards with this little jewel and it was hitting spot on. I wass really starting to like that little gun. I took my other kimber to the range today and I am going to have to work hard for a while as this incident has caised me to flinch very badly.

·
Registered
378 Posts
We had a guy that bought a Kimber Super Match, fired it the night he picked it up, but had a double charge (think he said 9.4 instead of 4.9 or something, not sure on that)
It didn't blow the gun like that, just bulge a few things. He sent it back to Kimber and they took care of it, but he didn't mention if/how much they charged him.

G

·
Wow,
I know how unnerving that is, I blew up a Sig P220 in 95" using some over pressure +P+ .45 rounds loaded in cut down .45 Win Magum cases. When it occured I was not sure what had happened from the smoke, but as it turned out the magazine blew out all of the remaining rounds and the follower/base plate, the mag body was completly wedged into the frame and could not be sperated. The Hogue rubber grips actually expanded about an inch in diameter on the right side and I could not sperate the slide and frame, the slide was still on the frame by about 1/2".
The front of the slide actually tore through the alloy frame and came to rest where the mag usually came through the grips. I never found the back of the casing and my shooting glasses where dimpled from powder flakes/metal or something. I returned it to my gun dealer as an FYI and the Sig rep actually came out and picked up the P220, they gave me a voucher towards a new one and requested I transfer the gun to them. I picked out a new P220 and secured it in one of my gun closets, I later found it in 99" and Garrity laughed at me for forgetting I had a Sig P220.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A thought just occured to me, the slide stop which is in good shape was found this morning at the range I am now think ing that when the case blew the stop was blown out also causing the gun to seperate, however this still does not explain the bowed slide. these guns have small frames and I still think that is why I lt it go, I have large hands abd don't think i had a good grip on the little monster.
For anyone who has not had this happen it is a physically painful thing the mag hit me in the mid region when it ejected I believe hte slide hit me in the face and I may be out several hundred recently spent dollars, on a gun I was starting to like.
Not to mention all the hot gas and powdwer flake I inhaled.

I know the slide seperation seems hard to believe but it did happen, and I have people who saw it and a nice cut on my very handsome face to prove it.
I do have to say that of the 2 places I posted this story this board has been the most helpful and least judgemental.
I want to thank Dane especially here is a man who took time out of a busy day to see if I'm ok and has offered his expert opinion for only the cost of me sending my gun to him. He even offered to pay the return shipping. I have never even met this man, but you can bet the next time I herar someone speak ill of him I am damn sure goanna light them up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts