Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a canister grade powder with flash inhibitors that's suitable for the 45ACP? I've been doing a few indoor IDPA matches lately and my 165PF 200 grain load with WW231 seems to flash quite a bit in low light. I'd like to go with a low flash load for these events. Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
AA#5 is pretty low flash, particularly in target loads, is readily available and is, relatively, cheap. VihtaViuori (sp?) is supposed to be exceptionally low flash but its also exceptionally expensive. I've been very pleased with AA #5 in both 9mm and .45ACP loads for low-light shooting.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like VihitaVuori powders. 320 and 340 are what I use most. Either of them will do 9mm, 38, .357, and .45. Low flash, low soot.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Use the fastest burning powder possible, like Bullseye or Red-Dot. Flash is caused by incomplete combustion of the powder. The fire ball is powder burning outside the barrel. This is why .357 is so blinding at night. It uses very slow burning powder. Remember, the slower the powder, the bigger the flash. BTW, 231 is a medium burning rate powder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.