Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This holster would primarily be worn with jeans and a tucked in shirt. My work and lifestyle dictate a neat but casual look and since I am in the South heavy clothing or jackets are almost never appropriate. I am a project manager for a small construction-remodeling company and much of the remodeling we do is at businesses after hours. So I meet with owners/architects and others where complete concealment is key, but I also go in and out of buildings afterdark often through back entrances. I usually keep a full size firearm in my truck, but resort to carrying only a pocket gun on my body. I want to change that and am prepared to purchase a new highly concealable IWB holster and a new midsize gun for this purpose. I like my fullsize Glock and am leaning toward the Glock but feel free to recommend anything you feel would be appropriate. I am strongly leaning toward trying the Milt Sparks versa max 2 IWB holster with a Glock m26 and would like to hear comments from those who have tried it. Thanks

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: slidelock1 on 2001-07-30 10:51 ]</font>

·
Registered
126 Posts
I own Sparks VM-2's for three different pistols and have used them in daily carry for two years or so.

If there is a better tuckable IWB holster on the market, I have yet to find it. The VM-2 is extremely comfortable and conceals well under a tucked in shirt, although you may find it necessary to buy your "carry shirts" a size larger than normal. Be aware that there is a definate learning curve when first using the VM-2 in it's tuckable mode. The phrase "one legged man in an ass kicking contest" comes to mind. :smile: Persevere, and I think you'll find the Versa Max 2 will serve you well.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have one, and love it. It's the one holster that works really well for my build.

The only downside is that depending on the pants, the belt loops can be in the wrong place, so I will sometimes need to shift it back, or slightly forward from where I would normally wear it.

Also, I have still managed to get a good tuck, with the regular loops, vs. the Kydex clips. Those clips can be a pain, but tucking the shirt into them is an exercise that provides the best results.

You will REALLY need to practice the 'Rip' though, it can take a little more effort, and getting used to... I still prefer an unbuttoned heavy denim button up shirt as a cover garment.

Enjoy!

I just happen to have a recent pic from Saturday with my VM2 & Kimber, FWIW. Ichiro, you're job is safe :grin:

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've got one for my P7 PSP. It's a great holster, except I can't keep the belt clips on. The forward one stays on most of the time but the back one comes out with nearly every draw. And I've worked the holster in. I think the belt clip design doesn't work with pants that don't have a very pronounced "lip" (such as suits).

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have used mine with a commander sized weapon where the dress code is the same as you mentioned (jeans or slacks with tucked in shirt). I use it with the clips. I am 6'1", 220 lb.

Overall I am very happy. My experience dictates the following:

The blued gun will rust if it rides next to my skin all day. An undershirt cures the problem. rust appeared around the mag release where sweat/condensation occurred and accumulated. Also, some discoloration of my pretty cocobolos from the exposure to skin/sweat. I think a hardchrome job is in my future.

Occasionally the shirt will get caught between the butt and my body. Print city. This is a behavioral problem on my part. Have to watch how I bend around to keep it from happening.

If I were you I'd be concerned about the thickness of the Glocks compared to the 1911. I think I read at their site that the Glock double stacks are the upper limit of what you can pull off with the VMII.

If I were buying today, I'd buy a VMII again. Don't know of any better tuckable IWB solution.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I do not know about your build, but for me, anythign tuckable is very nearly a pipedream. I would recommend you look into a small frame, very slim gun like one of the Kahrs. Steel or polymer, 9mm or .40, all depending on your preference.

·
Registered
209 Posts
On 2001-07-30 18:27, telackey wrote:
I do not know about your build, but for me, anythign tuckable is very nearly a pipedream. I would recommend you look into a small frame, very slim gun like one of the Kahrs. Steel or polymer, 9mm or .40, all depending on your preference.
When I don't want to carry the weight, I opt for the Kahr P9, and don't feel undergunned at all. Carried in an Alessi Talon, I have "tucked" & bloused the shirt around the small grip quite easily, and the Talon clip hid behind the gun belt nicely... It really disappeared compared to the 1911 in the VM, probably due to the narrowness across the waist, but the VM is a more stable platform. Food for thought!

·
Registered
262 Posts
On 2001-07-30 15:45, JiminCA wrote:
If I were you I'd be concerned about the thickness of the Glocks compared to the 1911. I think I read at their site that the Glock double stacks are the upper limit of what you can pull off with the VMII.

If I were buying today, I'd buy a VMII again. Don't know of any better tuckable IWB solution.
The VM2 is indeed a great holster -- BUT as Tony at Milt Sparks will tell you, it's probably not the best choice for a Glock.

I have one for my G23, and I like it a lot, but a Glock is probably a bit large for the intended purpose of the VM2. If "tuckable" is not a mandatory requirement, I'd go with the Executive Companion. It's a little more comfortable than the VM2 and sits a little deeper in the waistband, so it actually conceals a little better as well. The downside to the EX is the large double flap that goes around your belt. It's nowhere near as discreet as the small individual snaps of the VM2.

Chad

·
Registered
169 Posts
I also have one for my G23, but didn't have enough carry time to offer a useful comment.

This post inspired my curiosity so I put it on and wore it a bit last night. Actually not too bad. I think I can pull it off - but I have a pretty big frame.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mr. Alessi....I can see why everyone speaks so highly of you....It takes a classy guy to compliment a competitor....and you sir...are First Class.

I hope to purchase my first Alessi soon.

Greg

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your replys. I will certainly look into some of your suggestions esp. concerning the polymer Kahr as I am concerned over the Glocks thickness. By the way I am an even 6 foot 230lbs.

·
Registered
693 Posts
How does this VM2 work compared to others like the GWH if you just want to use it as an IWB and not use the "tuckability" feature?

I'm most interested in concealabilty and comfort for a full size 1911 (I'm short 5'5" and a blocky built at 170 lbs) and the wide belt loops seem to be a good idea for full size guns. Anyone with first hand comparison?

·
Registered
75 Posts
The VM2 works great as an IWB holster. It does everything that you'd want from an IWB and the wide offset of the belt loops do indeed make a good platform for a 1911. The one I got to test drive was for a Commander length slide but I think it would work just as well for a full length slide.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.