Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all~~!!
I have a Springfield's 7 rounder and a couple of McCormic's 8 rounders, and I want to replace the mag spring to match the 18.5lbs x-tra power recoil spring in my M1911..
Now, here's my question.. Anyone know if Wilson Combat's magazine springs are rated as x-tra power or stock??
The reason I'm asking is that I can get Wilson's mag AND follwer for $4.79, which is cheaper than Wolff's x-tra power mag spring only ($7.49)..
If Wilson's mag springs are x-tra power ones, then I might as well get the spring and follower together rather than Wolff's spring..
If Wilson's springs are rated stock, then I'll just get Wolff's..
Thanks in advance for your answer...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Audix

I believe the Wilson magazine springs are standard spring force and not "extra power". So if you really want a higher force in your magazine springs I recommend the Wolf springs.

Though are you sure you need to change the springs? You did not mention how many rounds your magazines have carried,or if you are having feeding problems that can be traced to the magazines. If you are not having feeding problems I suggest that you wait.

I hope this helps.
PaulB

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PaulB, thanks for your reply..
Actually, I've had some feeding problem since I replaced the recoil spring to 18.5lbs. (I had to replace the recoil spring to 18.5lbs since I installed group gripper, which made a HUGE difference in accuracy!!)
The magazines are not that old and I hadn't had any feeding problem before the new recoil spring. What's happening now is that the slide is closing faster than the speed of mag spring forcing rounds up. About once out of 20 rounds, I get a round hang up between chamber and feeding ramp, nose up. Slightly pulling the slide back and releasing it then chambers the hung up round.. So I believe that replacing the mag spring is necessary..
Anyway, I guess I will go with Wolff's springs , then..
Thanks again, PaulB..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Audix on 2001-09-25 07:11 ]</font>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.