Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of installing a Wilson mag well on my SA Supertuned. It is the type that attaches to the grip bushings. Wilson says the grips must be relieved to install the mag well. I need some advice. Generally, how much of the grips need to be taken off? Is this something a regular guy can do at hoem or is it a gunsmith project? Thanks for the info.

· Registered
239 Posts
I had installed a Rogers EZ Well, the synthetic precursor to the Wilson well, and it doesn't take much mechanical savvy or tooling to make them fit. The well slips over the grip screw bushings via two relatively thin ears. These ears need to be inletted into the grips. I don't like this system, I find them to be less aesthetically pleasing and secure than the SA mag well. If your frame is not beveled, the SA well will fit right on. The grip inletting for the Wilson can be accomplished with basic wood cutting tools -- chisel, etc., or with the Dremel demon. Lots of newbies ruin lots of things with a Dremel, so I advise the use of hand tools. It's easily a home job unless you hate woodworking or are dangerous with tools.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hilton Yam on 2001-09-28 23:03 ]</font>

· Registered
473 Posts
I use the rubber wrap around grips with that model Wilson. I don't have to relieve any thing. The better system is Wilsons Speed Chute. For competition you leave the chute on and for carry you pop out the MSH pin and remove the well then reinsert the pin. It's a quality steel MSH that has some nice checkering.Available in blue or Stainless.

Damn, Maybe Bill should hire me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jm10mm on 2001-09-29 11:38 ]</font>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.