Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Hello. I have routinely removed the magazine disconnect from any HPs I own. An exception MIGHT be the GP Comp as it does affect the trigger pull since it's mounted in the frame and not the trigger mechanism.

In every case, this has improved the trigger pull and allowed the magazine to drop free when the release is pressed.

It is my understanding that good trigger pulls can be obtained with the disconnect in place and I don't try to push my views off on anyone, but I flat don't like having a pistol that cannot be fired without the magazine. Some counsel against this for civil liability concerns and it MAY be sage advice and I respect those choosing to follow it.

For myself, I do not see how removing the magazine disconnect makes the HP more "dangerous" in that it is now capable of being fired with or with a magazine in place just like the various 1911s, Glocks, SIG-Sauers, HKs, and CZs.

Best.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hello Mr Camp I have a quick question. I have a std hp from the mid 90s that has absolutely no slack, take up or creep. It breaks like the proverbial glass rod, its unfortunate that it breaks like a 1/2" glass rod. Will removing the mag safety lighten the trigger but not introduce slack?
Thanks again
Gerald

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Hello. I don't THINK it would cause any slack unless the forward end of the trigger that butts down against the frame is being stopped by the magazine disconnect.

I cannot swear to it, but can say that I've removed these things since about '71 and never noticed increased "slack" or overtravel from it. The guns I owned that did exhibit this had it with or without the disconnect.

Best.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think modification naysayers are usually a bit paranoid.

I hear some say you should not even carry a customized pistol. This actually makes sense if you believe their basic premise: that showing an interest or competence in your firearm already dooms you.

Removing the mag disconnect...I can see absolutely no reason that should get someone in trouble. As long as you did not accidentally shoot someone with a mag out....

Even if you did need to shoot someone on defence, if the gun were seized and you went to court, they do not have people giving defenseless pistols autopsies to see if somebody took out the disconnect.

Pinning a grip-safety is the same way, who is to notice or care so long as you did not accidentally discharge the gun? Not a cop or prosecutor in 500 would even know to look, and a goodly percentage of the ones who did would not care unless there were evidence that something else about the shooting were off. Like someone misleading the police with stupid statements like: 'He was comming at me. I don't remember what happened; it just went off.'

Reloads...lots hoop-lah on that one, and I can't see why for most people it would not be reasonable to carry factory loads, but show me an actual case where that meant anything. Not it was mentioned, but that it meant something to the outcome.

We may be a litigious society, but I bet most self-defence shootings do not end in either criminal or civil prosecution, and if they did, none of these would be the deciding factor.

The thing is always: be absolutely, exactly honest, to the smallest detail, and then do not offer anything you are not asked.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: telackey on 2001-06-15 18:48 ]</font>

·
Registered
35 Posts
you are either justified in using deadly force (a "good" shoot") or you are not justified in using deadly force (a "bad" shoot.)

I cannot see how a 2 oz trigger, superninja killemall exploading nuclear pulse beam "carry" guns alter the above statement in any manner.

If it is a bad shoot, then 19 safeties and a 20 pound trigger won't save your ass.

Thats criminal.

Civil, is of course another story. With burglars suing (and winning) for injuries sustained during commission of their felony, I don't think anything can protect you if you have a poor attorney and stupid jury. I think it was Clint Smith, however, who said "remember you are alive to worry about it"

I recommend removing the magazine liability (why use a misleading term?) to all of my hi-power customers. I have three reasons that I can think of here on the spur of the moment.

1. It allows use of gun single shot (beats nothing) with a lost or damaged magazine.

2. lighter trigger gives better control and increases chances of hitting intended target and not someone or something else.

3. additional deactivating devices breed a false sense of security - like the gun isn't dangerous because the mag is out.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On 2001-06-15 18:33, telackey wrote:
Not a cop or prosecutor in 500 would even know to look, and a goodly percentage of the ones who did would not care unless there were evidence that something else about the shooting were off.
IOW, for too many officers, the answer to questions 3 & 4 would actually come into effect... :smile:

I removed mine, I hated the marks on the magazines and having to drag the magazine out of the gun.
I'm not that trigger sensitive, but it did improve the trigger. (Though, so did the SFS kit)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Removing the mag disconnect...I can see absolutely no reason that should get someone in trouble.
The one scenario where I can see it being a problem would be one in which someone else had a negligent discharge with your pistol. An attorney could make the argument that "My client would have been perfectly safe pointing that pistol at his friend and pulling the trigger with the magazine out, but someone deliberately disabled a key safety feature built in by the manufacturer".

Make sure that no one else ever handles your Hi-Power and it's not a problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Since pointing a weapon at someone else in most places is felonious aggravated assault, without regard to whether it was loaded or fired, I think you'd have to have a pretty stupid jury and lawyer for that. You can what-if it to death. It seems to me that pointing a gun at someone and pulling the trigger is a pretty serious issue in its own right. Could the same arguement be made "if the gun had standard GI 147g fmjs instead of 124 +P+ hydrashocks, my client wouldn't have been as grievously injured, and therefore the owner is guilty of reckless endangeerment . . ."

In answer to the above, I'm less concerned with the weight on a scale than it being clean and smooth. I can go pretty consistently in the 3-5 pound range. I have seen some 5 pound triggers that felt better than other 3 pound jobs, so I guess its all a matter of preference.

I've handed a match air rifle with 2 oz trigger to people, and even after advising them of the 2 oz weight, they still fire it unintentionally. I then question if they really want a set trigger on their rifle, or if its just something to wow their friends. If a shooter refuses to follow basic firearm safety rules, then anything else is purely an accademic argument

·
Registered
79 Posts
my 1942 mfg HiPower, with Kriegsmarine markings, came to me with a disconnect installed. It came out quickly. I have taken that out of every HP I have owned. For a combat pistol to be unable to fire without the magazine in place is just an awful idea.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.