Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel quite fortunate to have recently scored a BHP Practical 9mm, and want to be quite judicious in upkeep and feeding of this beautiful weapon...
But I have 2 questions for the board: 1)What, if any routine maintenance should I be doing on my factory 10-round mags, and when I score some hi-cap Mec-Gar mags, what should I be doing to keep them in top condition?
2) I have read posts on various boards about how someone disassembled his mags and replaced the mag spring, etc... How do you do that??? I honestly can see no good way to disassemble my 10-round factory mags at all... Is there a website which has eluded my notice, which would guide me on mag-maintenance?
Thank you for your help!
Jim Westbrook

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Hello. Maintaining the pistol's magazine is something often overlooked. In a defensive arm, I clean the magazine when I get home from the range even if it's only been fired 100 rnds. Other magazines might go several hundred rounds.

I disassemble the magazine and remove the parts, wiping off the debris and unburnt powder, etc from the spring and the follower with a solvent-soaked rag. I then dry all of the internal parts with a rag. Using solvent on an old toothbrush, I clean the inside of the magazine body and dry by pulling a larger rag through it, top to bottom. Reassemble and VERY lightly oil the outside of the magazine and wipe off the vast majority of it. I leave none inside.

If the magazine's been dropped in water or been in the rain, I will oil the internals after cleaning with solvent, but then go by the steps mentioned above.

To disassemble the 10-shot magazine or the original capacity magazine, make sure it is empty. Look at the floorplate of the magazine. On the 10-rnd, you will see a hole in the center of the plastic floorplate. There's a "nub" sticking up into the hole from a flat piece of steel inside the magazine and held in place by the spring. With a non-marring punch-type object, push in and slide the floorplate forward and off. Expect the magazine spring to pop out with the flat steel piece on the bottom. With it removed, just shake the follower out if it doesn't come out with the spring.

The thirteen round magazine is taken apart the same way. It's floorplate is much thinner than the big plastic affair on the 10-rnd one and you will see the protrusion you push in to remove it.

Once you've taken your magazine apart, you will readily see how to reassemble. Believe me, it is not hard.

Best.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.