Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a pair of ProMag mags for my Para P12 from Midway for $16.49 each.

Both produced immediate and repeated FTFs when hand-cycling RN handloads. Failure mode was the RN bullet striking the feed ramp at the base of the feed ramp, to low to feed into the chamber. The feed ramp is polished.

Comparing these mags to reliable factory Para mags, the feed lips are longer and are formed to deliver the top round at a launch angle about 10 to 15 degrees lower than the Para mags.

I modified both mags by applying pliers to the forward 1/8" of the feed lips and bending the lips out, until the top round launch angle was increased to match the launch angle of the Para mags. Finished the mod by polishing the feed lip edges with very fine emery paper.

Both ProMag mags now reliably feed all 10 rounds when hand-shucked. Both mags reliably engage the slide stop to lock the slide open when mag is emptied.

I'll visit the range this weekend to test feeding with fired rounds, but I expect these mags will be suitable for range mags.

At $33/pair, I think they'll fine for range mags and to reduce wear on my trusted factory mags.

I certainly would not recommend these mags for defense carry.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have tried Pro-Mags for both my CZ-75 and my Kahr, and I have found one sure-fire fix for each-

1)Grip the mag in the strong hand, floorplate up.
2)Retract the strong elbow, hand back.
3)Throw the damn mag as far away as possible, preferably down wind.

Seriously, I've found that just when I think I've got them working, they're not. I think they lack the temper to hold the adjustments.I hope your luck's better.

Larry

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.