Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any one particular brand is considered the best.
I ordered a Valtro from John J. late July last year and I guess I should get it sometime this year :D . Since it appears the only negitive things voiced were the poor quality of the magazines, I want to secure better ones asap.
Thanks for the help.

Reactions: p99luvr

·
Registered
42 Posts
wilsons 47's are excellent as well as CMC I reccomend wilson mags to all my customers they have never let me down Ive tried to kill em and they keep on keepin on.

Randy

·
Registered
258 Posts
I REALLY like the Wilson mags. Chip McCormick Power Mags are good too, but I don't like the other CMC mags.

Wilson mags work fine in all my 1911s, and the Power Mags work in MOST of them.

--Mark

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks folks!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've had equally good luck with Wilsons and Metalforms and would recommend either. Curiously though, it seems that there are a significant number of people who claim they have had problems with Wilsons.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My favorites are Metalforms with the round metal follower and welded bottom. I also like CMC powermags and have had success with Wilson and Baers however I really prefer a metal follower over a plastic follower.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would certainly agree with those voting for the Wilsons (7 rounders are much better) and the Power Mags. Also look at Novak's new magazines - the ones that I have seem to be very well-made, durable, and have a metal follower.

·
Registered
39 Posts
harrydog said:
I've had equally good luck with Wilsons and Metalforms and would recommend either. Curiously though, it seems that there are a significant number of people who claim they have had problems with Wilsons.
Yes I find that odd also. They are the most suggested mag by other people yet they are the most complained about. I stopped using them after one of the plastic followers wore out on me and wouldn't lock the slide back. I use the round follower Metalforms with welded bases now. No more plastic for me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wilson followers

The good news is that when their plastic followers wear out Wilson will send u free replacements. I also use the Wilson follower/spring replacement kits available for around $5. I've replaced SA, GI & CMC innards with these kits, and they work great. :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have old Wilson .45 magazines from the late 80's and they still work fine (never had a plastic follower wear out). Just converted them to 8 rounders. So don't forget as an added bonus, they can be upgraded, completely disassembled for cleaning and altered with different size bumper pads. Oh, by the way, they stand behind their products with service and/or replacement.

·
Registered
90 Posts
cobra mags, and wilsons, i think cobra mags are more expensive though.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I can't go across the board on any brand

I picked up 2 Wilson brand 10 round small caliber from Wayne as he (Mossyrock) recently discussed ex-thread for use in a 9x23. My next purchase will be to try another brand - for that combination. I'd be more than eager to buy nothing but Wilson cheap for the .45.

I'd say there is enough potential difference to mean best brand has to be narrowed a little bit. A given brand may be best across the board but currently I don't see that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Tripp Research COBRA MAGS.Specially now that the price has been brought down from $44.00 to $26.95 each.I just ordered a dozen of them for my STI Trojan 45 caliber pistol.

Killer Angel

·
Registered
934 Posts
BadOscar said:
harrydog said:
Yes I find that odd also. They are the most suggested mag by other people yet they are the most complained about. I stopped using them after one of the plastic followers wore out on me and wouldn't lock the slide back. I use the round follower Metalforms with welded bases now. No more plastic for me.
Pretty much my own experience with Wilson mags. They are otherwise perfect. So far, I've had great results with the CMC Powermags.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've used a wilson 7 rd mag for over a year now, as an experiment I haven't cleaned it that much (once or twice) and it continues to work very, very well. Wilson all the way.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts