Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My experience with skateboard tape started back in about 1975, when I got my first skateboard. Many years later, I still have a skateboard, though I ride it much less than I should. Guess I'm waiting to ride it with my daughter in a few years.

The application to 1911's started in about 1995 or so, and with a Colt Enhanced 1911. For the purposes of this discussion, I'll just refer to that gun as jam-o-matic. JOM had a blued finish, and I extended the (actual real live) skateboard tape under the grips so it wouldn't peel off. As JOM has rubber grips, all was well. When I decided I wanted to sell JOM (for a 1911 that worked), I took it to the gun shop to lose my arsh on a trade in. They weren't very impressed with the tape, and I felt obliged to tell them about the specks of rust forming under the grips. Were the spots of rust linked to the tape? Probably not. The blued finish was good looking but not durable, and the rubber grips really must've held moisture against the frame.

On to my latest 1911, a Wilson 1996A2. Finally got it working again (learning my lesson of not screwing with guns the hard way, I guess -- see other thread). At last weeks organized IDPA practice (my first non-mil organized shoot, BTW) I found myself gripping less of the 1911 after than before the Bill Drill. Thought skate tape would be a great compromise between checkering and nothing. Well, the east side skate shop that took all of my law school student loan money in exchange for high end windsurfing equipement closed it's doors. Their west side shop was killing it for business, I assume. I bought some grip tape from Menardss that seemed a bit softer (better, I thought) so it would conform to the front strap and maybe stay there.

I cut a piece to fit just the forward sections (front view, I guess) of the front strap and tacked it on. I did NOT extend it underneath the grips as I did not want to crack my expensive coco-bolo grips (or whatever they are). I was digging the new grippiness during dry fire practice this week. Seemed I was happy at last.

Well, I always had a question as to how often you're suppose to swap this tape out and clean the gun surface to prevent rust. I know you have to thoroughly clean the surface and make sure it's dry and free of oil before you apply the tape, but how often do most people service this stuff?

Then, I noticed a scratch on the front of my brand new (see other thread to dissuade you home gunsmiths out there) parkerized Wilson BulletProof slide stop. It's only been on there a week, so I was trying to figure out what could've happened. The conclusion I came to is that the roofing-like abrasive material on the tape was wearing off and slipping into my Blade-Tech kydex holster. Reholstering was causing the abrasion. Worse yet, I found specs of the abrasive material had found its way inbetween the trigger and the frame. This I found absolutely unacceptable. Even though there were only specs in there, I don't need even 10% more wear than is normal. Nor will I stand for any possible reduction in reliability.

Needless to say, my pistol got a surprise full detailed strip and cleaning. I had to use Hoppes #9 to clean the adhesive off the frame after peeling the tape off. What do you all do in the way of preventative maintenance when you use skateboard tape? Any problems with excessive wear from the abrasive materials rubbing off and getting into your gun, as I've described?

I've pretty much decide that my gun's going back to Wilson's this winter if it doesn't work without a shok-buff. That would be a perfect time to have them cut 30 LPI checkering and reparkerize the gun (unless anyone can convince me there's a black finish out there more durable than park). But, then again, after using the tape and then going back to a clean front strap, I have found that my fingers can follow the fronstrap around the gun for a better grip using the IWB Blade-Tech holster than I love (I'm commited to keeping IDPA practical, hence the IWB). Maybe I won't get it checkered?

Any thoughts on the skateboard tape maintenance issue?

What about better IWB draws without checkering? (Yes, I've read the thread about scallops, etc., and guess I agree that you have to shift your grip a bit during the draw.) Maybe I'll just keep a plain front strap for another year or so....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Been a serious fan of anit-skid tape: get it Lowes/Home Depot etc. works better than Skateboard tape. I too use several Blade-Tech holsters and have not noticed the wear. Then again I run too many rounds a year and make too many holster presentations while giving classes to notice things like a scratched slide/frame.

Try BearCoat, its good stuff. Seems to hold up better than average, it is applied over parkerizing if memory serves.

Personal choice would be 20LPI, coarse. That's me, I like a very rough surface. Most 30LPI is not much better than 150grit sandpaper.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
LOL...No...ROTFLMAO...

...Man, you gotta' stop...you're killin' me!
Leave that damn thing alone!!

...I hope you didn't sell the wind-toys you bought!!!

Seriously...you should send this in to one of the magazines...LOL...You are too funny...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, I'm the first to admit that I should've let things alone. The only thing that pisses me off is that the gun won't run without shok-buffs. I haven't tried it with the new slide stop, but I would like to do away with the shok-buffs. I really didn't hack this gun apart like some newbies do, so don't think I should be roasted for it. Especially considering that most of it was done after consulting this forum and 1911forum.

I'm sure that by next fall I'll have the cocky swagger of someone who's made "tactical errors" when it comes to 1911's, and it will all be in the distant past. :roll:

Til then, you're just going to have to live with me. :razz:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Hey...Man the reason I'm laughin' so hard, is I feel your paainn!

I swear!!! If I could've articulated it that well, the way you did above, I'd have been MUC BRTTER OFF...as it was, it wasn't pretty and believe me when I say this, I know how BAD you feel!
It's not your fault! Did you get that?

...It Is Not Your Fault!

The hell of it...the damn thing is a great pistol other than this ..."phobia against operating naked or somethin"...I swear, this one sounds like it's poutin'!

Sheez...drop me a line anytime and let me know how you're doin' with this...
Meantime, maybe we can come up with the "tonic" for you sick friend...either that or maybe it needs to go "home" to the "House Of Pain" for some rehab...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gyp_c:

Gotcha.

At least now I know the 1911 inside and out and can identify the causes of most of the major problem. Mostly due to the knowledge of this board and 1911Forum. I think you've helped me out greatly on both sites.

I have also played around with my gun with and without tape on the frontstrap and can identify a major advantage of a smooth frontstrap: easier to acheive a good firing grip from an IWB holster.

It's just that everyone's touted taped frontstraps, but no one's ever addresses maintaining the stuff. My guess is eventually everyone strips theirs off just to make sure nothing bad's going on underneath it.

My attention to detail sometimes surpasses obsession. You only have to walk me through my questions on this board. My poor wife has to live with me. :wink: This attention to detail brought me from a newbie member at AR15.com to someone who know more than most about the weapons system (though I still have questions when I break new ground, like my first scope purchase this spring). Hopefully I'm on the right track with 1911's.

I'm really really really thinking that once I got out of the Georgia Arms Canned Heat rut with my pistola, that marked a turning point. Before that was just breaking it in, the GA ammo sucked, and the one FTF at about 2K should've probably been ignored. Screwing with it at that point accounted for more problems. But now I'm back to square one and things are going well.

The pistol will be run naked for at least the rest of this season. In fact, I even put the shok-buff back in it to bring it back to where it was working well. It does bother me, though, that I have to rely on a new shok-buff every 1K rounds. Yeah I clean it every 100-500 rounds and keep track of the darn thing, but it's one more thing that I don't think I need in my gun. I'm not shooting hot ammo and keep good springs in it. And the gun *feels* more solid without it. So I do want it to be naked, including sans buff. But I'll figure that out this fall.

Just wanted to know what everyone else thought about the tape thing.

See ya.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I will never sell my windsurfing stuff. Got too much invested in it and it's still all very modern high end stuff. Now that my daughters' getting to be 14 months old (she's a greater priority than windsurfing), I figure I might be able to get out a few times this fall when the wind kicks back in. At least I reached a level in the sport where I can jump back in after a year off and still kick some butt. If I had to drown for another year learning waterstarts again, I might not be so enthusiastic....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JacRyan on 2001-06-29 09:48 ]</font>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.