Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would y'all recommend for maintenance on a NIB compact stainless aluminum? I would like opinions on grease vs. oil as well as what schedule you use...
I am more used to revolvers, rather simple things really.....
Thanks,
Emil

·
Registered
151 Posts
Emil
Welcome to the forum.
Now on to your question. As far as maintance goes any good oil or grease will work. I live in the desert southwest where the temps get high about 9 months of the year. What I use on my 1911's and like are Wilson Combats line of lubes. I use Ultima Lube Universal during the cold months. This is a combination of oil and grease and stays fluid. During the summer months I use the Ultima Lube grease as it does not run off the rails. Emil I clean and lube my 1911's after I shoot them. When using the Ultima Lube Universal, I check the slide rails weekly for proper lubrication as I carry daily. When using the grease I check every three weeks if I have not shot the gun. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Any good synthetic oil / grease will work fine.

Long live the 1911
Duke

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Duke on 2001-11-04 21:16 ]</font>

·
Registered
262 Posts
First things first...I clean and lube my guns after every range session. But my range sessions tend to be 300 rounds miniumum, 500 rounds average.

If you're not fanatic enough (and few folks are; they're probably smarter than me) to clean after every range session, at least clean & lube every 500 rounds, some people go 1000, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Detail strip & clean every 2,000-2,500 rounds or so. That means break the pistol down into every discrete component possible and at least wipe it down and inspect it for cracks, chips, unusual wear, etc.

If it's a carry gun, lube and inspect at least once every two weeks. It's amazing what can get into the hammer, sear, firing pin stop and muzzle when carried IWB for any length of time. The worst offenders are fuzz/lint and deoderant flakes that pack into the firing pin well and get onto the frame rails. I was appalled when I realized how much gunk was coming off my body and into my gun (then again, maybe I'm just weird that way :smile:).

And shoot your carry ammo at least every six months. Modern ammo is designed to take a lot of abuse, but better safe than sorry. Twenty bucks every six months ain't gonna break the bank -- and it'll ensure that A) you know what your carry ammo shoots like through your gun, and B) that you have a good, fresh supply (preferably from the same lot number) ready to go. You have tested atleast 200 rounds of your carry ammo through your gun, haven't you?

Don't worry too much about which lube or grease to use. Any of them are fine. BreakFree CLP seems to be an accepted MOR (middle of the road) cleaner/lubricant. I cleant with Hoppes and lube with FP10, but that's subject to change and sale prices :smile:. Anyway, have fun, shoot a lot and clean/lube intelligently. Most modern firearms are pretty tolerant, but you don't want to find out that yours isn't when the merde hits the ventilateur.

Take care,
Chad

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chad Ward on 2001-11-04 22:41 ]</font>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.