Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just curious if anyone here owns a Mak, and what you think of it? Seems an appropriate for a backup gun, and the price is sure right.

Let me know what you think :smile:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hey JLM!

With cheap ammo a Makarov will roll cans as long as you can keep the sights on them! They are accurate with the fixed barrel and fun. :smile: Teddy J. will even do a good trigger job on one. I like the "Russian" version and there is a Mak web site just for them.

If you want, Cor-bon even makes a 95 grain JHP @ 1050 to make it a better mouse gun than a 380! :roll: They make a good tackle box & beater gun too! Mike

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike!

Do you have the address for the website handy? Thanks bro :smile:

That was another thing I wanted to know: you have Russian, Bulgarian, East German, and Chinese manufacture guns. Which ones are the best? I hear the Russian/E. German guns are the hardest to find, and that the Bulgarian guns are of good quality.

http://www.cphv.com/fl_legacy.htm

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JLM on 2001-07-17 23:31 ]</font>

·
Registered
579 Posts
I will try to put the Mak link here Justin!

http://www.makarov.com They will cover your questions on the different nationalities that are available. Mike (EDIT) It looks like the site is dead, the on below is active but about has information 3 years old. The site above worked about 2 months ago if my memory hasn't failed.

9mm Makarov Ammunition Performance Data, Firearms Tactical Institute. 9mm Makarov (9 x 18mm) Ammunition Performance Data. Page ... to visit the rest of our site. Part I. Ammunition Manufacturer Products for ...
http://www.firearmstactical.com/ammo_data/makarov.htm

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Randall_1611 on 2001-07-18 00:18 ]</font>

·
Registered
580 Posts
Took the time to find an East German one. Bluing is excellent w/only holster wear and has a great trigger. Negative is the tiny sights. Be aware that the commercial mfg. ones are much more roughly made & finished.
See also: http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg21-e.htm
http://www.cruffler.com/historic-january00.html
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/makarov
http://216.117.150.77/world/mak/mak_us.htm

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pistolero on 2001-07-18 12:05 ]</font>

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had one but sold it to finance a new project. It was a lot of fun. Couldn't make it jam for anything. This was mostly cheap surplus ball, but also a few boxes of Hornady XTPs. Accurate enought to hit clay pigeons at 15 yds. even with the tiny sights. I payed $120 for it. Being a blowback gun, I think the recoil was much sharper than a locked breech design, and after a few boxes of ammo the web of my hand would be black and blue. Good cheap fun, and much better than no gun at all.

Patrick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Buy one you'll want more,they are one of
the most fun guns on the market,I like
the bulgarian "unissued" models, however
most are good. Along the same line are the
pa-63, smc918, smc380 made in hungary,
(walther copies). just some suggestions.!

·
Registered
6 Posts
i had a nib bulgarian i paid 149 bucks for at a gun show.i liked it so much that i picked up a used 1960 east german one with just a hint of blue ware at the end of the barrel.wow the east germans trigger is the best trigger i have ever owned.in sa you cannot see the trigger move at all till it breaks.they are a bit long in da but the makaroves are a far better gun than the ppks i have owned.the safty operates in the correct direction as opposed to the walther.and at 1/3 the cost of the walther their is no comparrison.pick one up you will love it.9mm mak ammo very easy to get these days.i shoot cheap(green box) norinco ammo.i have never had any malfuntioin with either mak.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Maks are great guns..very reliable. I bought two of the East German guns years ago when they first came in...one for me, one for a friend. They were practically NIB. My friend never shot his and years later I bought it back from him. The EG guns are very well made, with excellent machining and blueing. IMHO the EG Mak is as good as my SIG 230....and for a lot less $$$.

·
Registered
687 Posts
It's a compensator built onto the slide. Not the ideal setup, I know, but I was just fiddling around. It had to be rather long so that the barrel could telescope into it as the slide retracts. Can't see in the pic bit the frontstrap is also checkered. I use this in local pin matches in the "mid bore" class where they put them 1' from the back of the table. This caliber is still kinda marginal for it.

It has an attacment point fitted to the underside of the frame, I made sort of a flyswatter front extension, like a front couterbalance on a bow or like I think they use on Olympic free pistols. Never used it much though. I love these little things!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Makarov is a fine gun.Will almost never malfuntion.Very low cost gun
and can be kept dirty for years and still work perfectly.
You can still find the E.German ones for $120.to $180.I have an E.German
that looks brand new and came with a Paperwork history dating back to
1966,I paid $250.for it.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Hello. Below is a picture of my Makarov and CZ83, with the latter being in .380 even though it can be found in 9x18Mak. I have seen several posts around in which folks want a comparison of the two pistols. You can see that size is essentially equivalent. The Mak has the Beast conversion which got me better sights, but at a price. The CZ83 has decent, usable sights out of the box. The DA is smoother on the slightly more expensive CZ and you do get the capability of cocked and locked as well as more rounds.

Which do I like the best? Oh, the CZ, but I don't plan to get rid of the Makarov. Both have proven ultra-reliable with every type of ammo I've fired in them.

Even if you have a Mak, if you get the chance at a CZ83 at the right price, do give it consideration.

Both are really good little guns.

Best.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Love my Maks...

(2) IJ70-17A Russian commercial .380ACP's - one pristine, one "beater"
IJ70-18A Russian commerical 9x18
IJ70-18AH Russian commercial high capacity 9x18
'63 East German 9x18
non-arsenal marked Norinco 9x18

and, drum roll please.....

non-import marked Russian PM 9x18

Oddly enough, I still don't have a Bulgarian PM - or a Miltex SE, Simson Suhl, Arsenal, etc.

The bluing on my Norinco rivals that of Colt Pythons. The action on my East German is smooth as silk, the machining is flawless. Each one has been incredibly reliable and accurate. The only problem I've had is with one of the commercial .380ACP guns that wouldn't feed Federal Personal defense HP's at all.

Practice ammo is cheap (by mail order) and available.[/b]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.